1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you have in your home office?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagleboy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I'm starting to look for a new place and thinking about the practicality of a home office. I want a place where I can sit and think about what's going on and be able to work quietly, but am not sure that it's necessarily all that practical at this point. I'd have a desk, perhaps a home desktop computer and a nice, scholarly-looking bookcase, but what else is there to have?

How many of you have an office, what do you do in it, and how practical is it to have away from the girlfriend (spouse/family/etc.)?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just get a kick-ass laptop; you'll have tons more freedom.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My home office is off limits to everyone but my 16-month-old son unless they're going to the laundry room or getting Christmas decorations in the closet in there.

It's my sanctuary. I have my desk in there, of course, a couple book cases and a worthless other desk that we're getting rid of.

I have my collectables in there, like bobbleheads, statues, shot glasses, books, magazines, coins, Star Wars figures, etc., and I also have a little gym in the corner with my weight set and heavy punching bag. I refuse to put in a TV because then I'd never leave. But it is a nice place for me to do conduct phone interviews or work on money matters, pay bills, etc.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Get a really, really, really good chair. Worth the investment.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Agreed. My home office varies between a big desk that serves as a shelf for media guides, biographies, style guides, bills to a leather recliner.

And a comfortable chair is indeed a must.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Computer, second-hand desk, second-hand chair, second-hand file cabinet, book case.
    The rest is used for storage.
    As mentioned above, if I put a TV in there, I'd never leave that room when I was home.

7. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I'm a refridgerator and a recliner away from never leaving this side of the house (because the guest bath is on the same hall).

I've got a small bedroom converted to an office. Laminate flooring and multiple shelves in the doorless closet. I have my computer equipment on my desk. I've got my books, dvds, collectables, video games on the shelves. A small TV with my Xbox, my stationary bike, all my favorite photos framed and on the wall. I've got one wall painted blue with a big fucking Superman \S/. Why? Because it's my room and I can.

It is my Fortress of Solitude.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This is an easy question for me to answer ... I don't have a home office.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

My home office has some other things to consider in addition to the things previously mentioned:

-- Filing cabinet(s) (as or if needed)

-- Fax Machine (if needed)

-- Comfortable chair

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

one wall is a bookcase, filled with books and memorbilia (and my sweater chest of drawers because there's no room elsewhere), back wall is a book case with video tapes and more crapola, left side is a second chair with a short office cabinet for supplies, main wall is big desk with three filing cabinets, fax machine, computer. Walls have various and sundry photos -- Olympia Stadium, Desmond Howard's catch against Notre Dame from an angle no one ever saw because our paper only ran black and white (head on, looking at our photog), golf prints, autographed photo of Mike Palmateer from ebay, 3 stooges golfing and framed pound notes of Jack Nicklaus and St. Andrews.
    My chair is quite comfy -- 210 marked down to 90 at office max. Padded arms ROCK!
    My office's most prized possession, however, is just outside it: A constantly in use hummingbird feeder. It's cool as hell to watch them fly up, stare in, chase each other, have a turf war with yellow jackets over the nectar or perch and drink...

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Shelves are underrated. Make sure you have plenty of shelves within reach of your desk.
    I bought a cheap tower bookcase at Home Depot for the far corner of my den. It houses my printer, scanner, wireless router and various accessories for my laptop. Keeping all that crap off my desk gaives me lots of room to lay out books, foldsers, etc., when I'm working on projects.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

get one of those all-in-one printer/scanner/fax thingies. i'll probably get one when i run out of ink cartridges for my current printer. we have an old fax machine that's crap. we don't send too many faxes but when we do, it's a pain in the ass.

we also have a sofabed in our home office because it doubles as the guest room.

i recently moved and the only downside to the new house is that the wife and i now have to share a home office/study. no more sanctuary for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted