1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you hate more: Mitch Williams or 10U travel ball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 17, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You get the best of both here.

http://deadspin.com/witnesses-mitch-williams-called-child-a-pussy-order-1577451834

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tie.

In the ongoing SportsJournalists.com debate, this reinforces my argument: Baseball parents are the worst.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At least he didn't slap the kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adh_8pva10k

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just talked about this with a friend and he was asking why they didn't kick Williams out. Two reasons:

1) It's all about money, and the organizers want his team's tournament entry fee, spectator gate fee and concessions. It's a few thousand bucks of revenue over a full weekend.

2) There is a good chance Mitch Williams was not the worst-behaved coach in the tournament, and if you kick him out you're going to have to kick out a whole lot of coaches, which gets away from the idea that:

3) It's all about money.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's probably the way he was coached when he was a kid, too.

6. jr/shotglass

When I was a kid, we decided for ourselves who to knock down.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Basketball is pretty bad too. So are the coaches. Two weeks ago, tossed a coach from a game for constant bitching and complaining. As he was slowly leaving the gym, he went on a curse rant at both officials, wouldn't leave the gym, snuck back in.

Oh, it was third- and fourth-graders.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Give me a fucking break. Williams may have acted like an idiot but on the scale of "idiot youth coaches acting like wackjobs" this doesn't even register. Heck I expected a meltdown but this was barely a confrontation and not worthy of any attention as I'm sure in that tournament there were far worse examples of idiot coaches acting up.

As for which parents are the worst -- baseball coaches and parents are really bad no question and hockey parents, I think because they spend so much money, are out there in left field of looney tunes as well.

The problem I see with youth basketball, especially AAU, is that not only are parents and coaches out there, the refs are idiots as well and this makes for and even bigger shit show.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What does FART hate most? Hearing the slightest peep about youth sports, good or bad.

10. jr/shotglass

We must be lucky around here, because I can't recall any particularly ugly incidents in youth sports.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Taking a leave from MLB Network.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/report--mitch-williams-taking-leave-of-absence-from-mlb-network-074511961.html

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably because the threads are harder for you to disrupt /derail by throwing in total non-sequitir potshots at the M.N.

Draft saved Draft deleted