1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you guys write about during downtime?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Nov 29, 2010.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I don't blame them, either. It just drives you crazy that you're filing this year-ender that's rating the biggest stories of the year, and you know that some obscure small-school relay is going to be pissed that you overlooked them. And the reason you overlooked them is because they came in seventh place in their race with a comparably mediocre performance, but since they were the highest finishing small school, they're considered state champs. They also separate out state and federation championship results. It's a headache.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

My No. 1 hard and fast rule for sportswriting.

If it's a cheerleading story, hand it to the school/education news person.

It isn't sanctioned by the IOC, the local state high school athletic association, the NCAA or any other legitimate national or international sports governing body ... it's a school activity and goes with all of the other school activity news.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

There are many times I'm glad I'm in Indiana, where there are no classes in individual sports. Trying to cover four track state finals would be a headache of massive proportions.

Draft saved Draft deleted