1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you get when you cut Planned Parenthood funding?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 4, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Practically every gas station and grocery store sells condoms. The notion they aren't available is laughable. Don't even have to deal with a cashier at a lot of grocery stores.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That bullshit has been debunked here before. PP tries to list its services performed as a la carte, when in reality nearly all of them are part of the abortion process.

They try to list "pregnancy tests " as though they're providing this essential need, yet the only time they're giving pregnancy tests is when someone comes in for an abortion.

Women who are keeping their babies are getting their pregnancy tests from their own doctors.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yup. I worded my post clumsily. That said, these aren't very good examples of increased safety net spending, especially considering the $350 million cut in medicaid spending over two years and the draconian cuts social cuts in previous years. My point: There are no champions of safety net spending in the Texas GOP and there are assuredly none that would suggest raising taxes to pay for it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

By "debunked here before" don't you simply mean "me and the rest of the Angry Old White Men around here don't believe it?" Or have you visited PP enough to know? Because I have been to many PP clinics...and none of them offered abortions, but they did offer pap smears and cancer screenings and birth control. Maybe I ran into you there once?

Killick and franticscribe like this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Indeed I did (not that I had to ... I was already familiar with how shady is PP's reporting). Right there in that link you provided ...

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So if I'd written that 88 percent of PP's funding is spent on something other than abortion, would you be denouncing OT's false claim?

And since when do Republicans rely on Politifact for proof of anything?

7. doctorquant

If you'd written that you'd have been wrong, too, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not so sure I accept Politifact's estimate, as it's a very conservative (ha!) one. I damn sure don't accept 3%, which is an absolute joke.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What kind of cancer screenings do they do?

They don't have mammogram machines:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-that-planned-parenthood-provides-mammograms/

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are other ways to screen for things without having a machine right there to do it.

My wife, years ago, had a painful lump in her breast. We went to a Planned Parenthood. The doctor examined her, took a biopsy, and recommended mammogram place to her. Turned out that it was a solid piece of fiber, which, while it wasn't cancerous by no means, was still giving her pain, so she had it removed surgically at the local hospital.

But I guess, according to you and the other cons on here, having a doctor physically checking a breast and sticking a large needle in it isn't a cancer screening because there's no machine involved.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. doctorquant

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True, but since he said pap smears and cancer screenings, I guessed he was hinting at breast cancer screening, which they don't really do.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They do breast cancer screenings. It's more than mammograms.

Draft saved Draft deleted