1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you expect from a minority hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boots, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How can we have intelligent dialogue when, based on your initial question, we all think you're an idiot? Just because you were thinking about the way the Virginia Tech story was being handled by some papers, that doesn't mean the rest of were. There is no way for us to infer that. All we have is what was implied in a context-less question.

2. Clever username

Don't need a response or don't want one you know you won't like?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You do post a lot about other things. But if there's a thread about race or if a thread veers off into a discussion about race, I can almost count on it coming from you or Whitlock. I understand that it's an important issue, but I don't really spend a whole lot of my time thinking about race. I'm young, so I obviously grew up away from the Civil Rights movement and things like that, but when I see a minority worker in my office, I really don't think of them being a minority. They're an employee, just like me. I think you spend a little too much time fascinating on black and white. Relax man. Just live life.

5. Clever username

I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect that.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love it that Fenian has learned to post pictures. Love it. Love it.

7. boots

boots New Member

First off, I'm FAR from being an idiot. Secondly, if you are so intelligent, you could've easily answered the question with a short answer instead of a smart assed one. You assumed and thus made an ass out of yourself.
    Now that we've got that squared away, and you know the context of the question, you have one of two choices, either answer it or ignore it. Either way, the response will be noted. What's the big deal. You may have a bigger problem Clever than you are letting on but that's OK. Again, this was a serious question and we wanted a serious answer. You took it personally. I answered it personally.

8. Moderator1

Who is we? I'm not sure more than one wanted a serious answer and last time I looked, we took more than one.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

It's almost inspired me to learn.

10. boots

boots New Member

I'm living life. Unfortunately, there are too many who aren't I just pointed out something that I noticed. If it didn't apply to your paper or your situation, then you have no problem.
    And Moddy, to answer your smart-assed question, that's the way we've always addressed things since we've been around. You know it. Don't try to twist something out of nothing. Damn. Sometimes you amaze me.

11. Moderator1

Yes, we do amaze.

12. Clever username

Where'd my last post go?

Draft saved Draft deleted