1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you expect from a minority hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boots, Apr 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Several papers did that including the Post. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I was just looking at the way the paper and others with Asian staffers, utilized them.
    This was not a question to piss people off.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

But again, why not provide that context in the original post? Boots still haven't answered that question.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It would make more sense to send those two radio guys who were fired for calling a Chinese restraunt and orderd shrimp fried lice......

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Boots, come on. You were starting shit and you know it.

You gave no context whatsoever in your initial post, making a touchy subject to begin with into a train wreck.

And really, what is it with you referring to yourself in the first-person plural. ("We" being first-person plural, even though you thought it was third person on a previous thread.)

You want a serious answer? Give us a real contest in regards to the subject. Also, define "minority hire." Are you talking about every minority in the business? Are you talking about people hired only because they are a minority? (Sorry, touchy-feely folks. There are some of those out there.)

I disagree with you more often than not, boots, but the start of this thread was fraudulent, ill-conceived and poorly executed and you can do better.

5. boots

boots New Member

I see your point. I just didn't do it that way. I thought, and still believe, we could have intelligent dialog on the thread without spelling everything out.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

to answer your question, bootsie, the only thing different I expect out of a minority hire is that they will likely leave sooner than a majority hire.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In the same way that having a black NBA beat writer makes sense -- perhaps black basketball players, who make up the majority of the league, are more likely to respond, or will respond better, if the question comes from a face that looks like his own -- having Asian writers pursue certain stories on the VT thing made sense. I don't know if that's racist. Perhaps it is. But it also is an attempt to deal with the reality of human nature. I think the utilization might cross a line if that's the only thing a minority is allowed to do. If an Asian writer is pigeonholed on Asian subject matter with no opportunity to do anything else, you're really getting into sticky territory.

As for what I expect, like others here, I would expect them to be productive, just as I would anyone else.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Boots: serious question. How come every time you post a question like this it's about race? I'm not trying to start a shitstorm. But I can remember countless times when a thread was started by you that involves race. Why is this such a prevalent issue in your mind?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of spelling everything out. That initial post with no context is just inflamatory. And honestly, this board can't handle this subject in a civil manner anyway.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Especially not with Fenian posting pictures of flaming pickles ... oh, that's the Hindenburg. Never mind ...

11. boots

boots New Member

I post a lot of questions from race to money to religion to sex. I think what bothers many, and I don't need a response, is that I say what others are thinking. I don't pull punches.

Draft saved Draft deleted