1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you expect from a minority hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boots, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It's not a legitimate question completely out of context. Just asking what you'd expect out of an employee simply because he/she is black is subversively racist. It implies there are different standards for white people and minorities, almost like it's a bonus if the minority does his/her job well. And that is just fucking stupid.

2. Clever username

Yeah, but we can't help but slow down and keep looking.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Serious reply - I would expect no more or no less than I expect from the white males working for me.

SJ reply - WTF caused you start this thread?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Did you really think that you were going to get an answer to that question the way you wrote your first post?

5. boots

boots New Member

Clever, we're not picking a fight but that obviously happened with Va. Tech and it happens with other stories where race is concerned. Editors go to their minority reporters to get stories.

6. Clever username

First off, who's "we"? Second, why didn't you provide the context? Why not ask what you want to ask, rather than asking a generalized idiotic question that you knew would piss people off? Why not actually, for once, you know, start an actual discussion and not just throw gasoline on the wall and see who drops the first match?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

what papers did that bootsie? what were the asian reporters doing before that, solving IT problems?

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm going to quit interviewing minorities (for stories) at my job, since I'm obviously not qualified to talk or write about them in Boots' eyes.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I expect my minority hires to mow my lawn, weed my garden and cook my burritos.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I expect them to post trollish questions on a message board.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

buh... buh.. buh... I just wanted a legitimate answer to a legitimate question.. .no need for name calling. The madness has to stop. When I'm done backpedaling, you guys can answer the question again and again because I'll never stop trying to find it....

Or...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted