1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when you lose passion on a beat?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 23, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

how long has he been on the beat? is he burned out after two years? five? seven?

the duration ccould be key when talking to his superior about a change.

but this subject gets little sympathy from me. i understand the feeling of been there, done that. but every season is a new one. players with new stories. that's part of the allure of the job. every day, every season, is different. keeping it fresh is part of what goes into being good.

how do you think a fourth-grade teacher of long-standing feels? what keeps the good ones charged up is every year is that their kids are different. i know a guy who's been on the same pro beat for 18 seasons now. he still kicks butt, even though he'd kill for a change. why? because he always strives to be the best. i did a beat for 13 years. same thing.

if your friend can't get a change, tell him to suck it up. he only hurts himself in the end. you can't let the staleness come through in the writing. if it does, then he's in the wrong biz.

snap the eff out of it!!!

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he's looking for a raise :p

Draft saved Draft deleted