1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when you get a f***in haircut--and it's f***in awful??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I admit it: I'm a hair sexist. I need a hot girl to cut my hair. I got that at a MasterCuts of all places yesterday. But for about five years, I had two girls cut my hair -- one a Puerto Rican, one blonde, both smoking like they were Philip Morris executives. I have very simple hair needs: Caesar cut, clippered close to the edge on the sides. What, is someone going to fall in love with me because of my hair? Only if the stylists can do a similar job on every other aspect of my life.

In my defense, both hot stylists did a good job on ... I mean, um, ... hmmm ... they did good cut hair me.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

A little shorter on top and you've got it.

Well, that and a little more attracted to the daughter of my mom's housekeeper, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Thanks to everyone for the laughs and the similiar stories. My wife says it's not as bad as I said it was and that her hairdresser can fix it fine. I said that's fine and I'm still wearing my hat all day long. And I did!

I think this is it for me at Supercuts. Damn and I was two cuts away from a free one.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm also more attracted to the daughter of his mom's housekeeper. Alyssa Milano...rowr.

And fuck being two cuts away from a free one...THIS one should have been free from the way you describe it.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

As awful as she was, I would have felt like a dick...the last guy in before the store closes for Thanksgiving is trying to get a free haircut. And she probably would have said "But I gave you a 2!"

And even if I got a free one, big deal. I paid for the haircut in puke with the hair on the floor. Nothing I do is fixing the haircut. What's $15 in the grand scheme when she's already murdered my hair? It's not like you're at a restaurant and the food wasn't prepared the way you wanted it. There's no fixing the reverse bowl job/reverse mullet.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm exceedingly happy there was not a typo in the first half of that slashed item.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Uh-oh ... got a wig handy? (hope you don't need it, of course, but just sayin' ... )

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i sure don't get the price some of you guys pay for risky haircuts today. i understand "whining" about costs of 20 bucks or more. my guy for the last 17 years costs 10 bucks -- and i've got a pretty good head of hair for a 49-year-old. i'm no patrick dempsey, but my hair's hangin' in there.

fellas, you're overpaying for this "styling" bull. find a professional and then go to "hooters" to oogle the chicks.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'd love to find an old-style barber shop in my town, but the only one I tried took a chunk out of my left ear. Back to Great Clips, unfortunately.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've tried to find an old-school barber shop. Last one I did find was a few years ago. The place really had the feel of the one in "Coming to America," with these older guys sitting around bullshitting.

But the cut was AWFUL.

I keep it simple and short these days, so basically I need somebody who will do the same style every time and not screw it up. Last time I switched, I ended up going to the same place where my 3-year-old daughter gets hers cut. It mostly caters to kids, but they have a lot of families where they do everybody's hair.

Laugh all you want. The woman does a good job and she is very easy on the eyes (nice bonus).

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Reading this thread has reminded me of going to the barber with my dad on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. It seemed really cool, all these guys sitting around shooting the breeze.

I vaguely recall my sister and I getting our haircut at an old-fashioned barber shop when we were kids, but at some point I just started going to Supercuts or whatever chain butcher shop was nearby. Might be time to look into a trip back to the barber shop.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Better atmosphere. More Consistent. Usually a little less expensive, which isn't the primary reason, but given the other positives, it makes this one stand out all the more.

The one where I go I stick out like a sore thumb. Almost everyone else has short hair, many buzzed. I don't. I don't have the regional accent and all that jazz, but the guys know what I do and talk the scene, usually Atlantic Coast Conference sports and the occasional pro thing.

Like the mechanics I go back to for routine maintenance back home, I wouldn't trade it for much.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

And that's why its so sexy.

The ponytail/hat/gym thing is inexplicable to me; almost genetic. My wife deliberately avoids the ponytail because of my reaction.

Draft saved Draft deleted