1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when you get a f***in haircut--and it's f***in awful??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 23, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

very, very sexy...

of course, this is assuming women get their hair done for men, which is bullshit, it's all for other women

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow, BYH. And sorry. I live almost three hours away from a barber I've been seeing for about 15 years. Granted, I handcuff him and allow him to do very little since I've kinda grown my hair out ... I look equally crappy either way but longer hair doesn't need constant cutting and maintenance.

But point is, it doesn't allow for the kind of disasters you just experienced. Since I can't send any hair, my heart goes out to ya.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Count me in as a ballcap and ponytail type. Lots of fond memories of college. Throw on a sweatshirt and... um, excuse me for a minute.

Also, let me throw out my own mini-rant. About a year ago, they opened a SportClips near my house. SportsClips is essentially SuperCuts/Fantastic Sams, except its supposed to be all about guys. Sports on TV at every chair and attractive women who all about sports and hair.

My last few experiences have questioned my faith in truth in advertising. The women there look more like the school bus driver on South Park and Tucker Carlson in drag than like attractive women. Keep in mind, I don't need an 8 cutting my hair and messaging my scalp. I could enjoy a 5 or 6. I'm not sure the current SportClips stylists rate above a 1 -- a whole lot of deduction for personal hygiene violations.

5. Sam Mills 51

I never knew you had to have an attractive stylist to get a haircut. Then again, that may explain my mop ... :-\

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Back in the 1980s I walked into a place to get a haircut, saw that the only stylist had a purple mohawk and I started to walk out. She yells after me, "I can give you a normal haircut!" I figured what the hell, give her a try. She had terrible B.O., but she could really cut hair. Best haircut I ever had. I went back about six weeks later for another haircut, but she had moved on.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Went to a SportsClips once. Hated it -- absolutely hated it. The haircut wasn't very good, either, but couldn't stand the place and that doesn't even consider attractiveness of the stylist (which isn't part of my rating scale anyway)

Best one I've ever had was a 55-year-old woman who I ended up going to for about 6 years until she moved away. She wasn't a looker, but I wasn't looking. My rating is based on two factors:

a) "don't-screw-it-up-ability;" just make me look nice and I'm cool with it. My hair is not hard to cut well. If you fuck it up, you have to be trying;

b) friendly demeanor and a good judge of "conversationability"; if we click, talking is cool, otherwise I don't need awkward small talk; do your job well and I'll be happy (and tip you well.) ... Anyway, I kind of like the serene buzz of the clippers; it relaxes me.

... and that's all I ask.

8. Freelance Hack

Well, they don't have to be attractive IF THEY KNOW HOW TO CUT F@#$ING HAIR. I know when I'm going into these places that I'm getting a McHaircut -- I'd at least like to have it done by someone halfway attactive.

Perhaps I just need to realize that I'm not 15 anymore and that I need to spend big bucks ($35-40 or more) to get a really good haircut.

9. Sam Mills 51

I get your point, Freelance. I mean no one is looking for the most repulsing person in the place. But the substance counts with the stylist, not just the style ... so to speak.

I need some work on my head. But after BYH's misadventure, I may let it go for a while longer ... the jokes for that are easier than getting some freakin' buzz.

10. Freelance Hack

True, but when a place is like the Hooters of haircutting, you'd at least expect there to be some style.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I used to to the trendy place in the college town. Cute girl in a skirt, very good haircut and knew what to do when I answered "Just make it look good" to the question, "What do you want?"

That said, I am still searching for anyone close to that girl and I've been here over a year. End up most of the time going to GreatClips, which is decent.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Once again, I just want to say how much I despise guys who bitch about paying $20 for a haircut.

I'm going tomorrow to have an APPRENTICE cut my hair (not even an actual certified employee) and it's still going to run me $50.

Draft saved Draft deleted