1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when you get a f***in haircut--and it's f***in awful??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 23, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Outing alert: BYH is Danny Pintauro, circa 1987.

[​IMG]

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cadet, many guys here have rhapsodized about the ponytail/ballcap thing. The gym reference? Can't explain that one.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

byh

as a man whose motto has always been, "we care about our hair," i sympathize.

that said, what were you thinking by reading a mag while your hair was being ravaged? the mags are there for while you wait. attention must be paid AT ALL TIME when someone's taking the scissors to your hair!!

unless you've got a regular person who does your haircut all the time, we can leave nothing to chance. it's like that "seinfeld" episode. when you have a barber. you hang on for dear life. i've used the same guy for 17 years. in an emergency, away from home for a funeral, i kept my eyes on the woman cutting my hair every step of the way, guiding her as we went.

try not to fret too much. the good thing about hair is that it does grow back. for some of us, anyway.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If your wife orders you to get a haircut, just say fine, I'll go get some trim at Trim (and enjoy a brewski while I'm waiting). End of discussion.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I've had a few awful haircuts over the years, and they've all come at shitty Supercuts-type places.

Now I pretty much go with the crew cut look, actually a little longer, and I cut it myself half the time.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Just have some taken off the top to even out. It'll grow back.

We moved last year and I had to find a new barber. I found an old-time barber shop where they do a good job, but the old guy kind of creeps me out, keeps asking if he should trim my nose hairs and the hairs in my ears. No other hair professional has expressed such an interest in these regions. I swear, one of these days I'm going to say, "NO! And before you ask, you can leave the pubes and asshairs alone, too!"

7. KP

KP Active Member

Girl with a hat on low with a good curve to the bill and a ponytail out the back, rrrowwwwrrrrrrrr

8. KP

KP Active Member

*Tug, tug on said ponytail is fun too.

I also need to get my f*cking haircut.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

See, that's always been my default bad-hair-day look or my "I'm working a game and don't want to look prissy if I do my hair" look. Have never considered it sexy.

10. KP

KP Active Member

PM me and let's set something up. ;D

For the most part, men are easy to please. We don't need to have you women get all dolled up and look all fancy. We feel bad about messing it all up later.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I get my haircut at a Supercuts. After reading this thread, I think I should probably be ashamed to admit it. But I have been going to the same Supercuts for about 8 years.

I used to get my hair cut at this much nicer and more expensive place, by the same woman every time. When I find something I like, I stay with it forever. But that woman moved and I needed a new place. That is how I ended up at the Supercuts, although I can't remember why I even went there in the first place.

At the Supercuts, my hair gets cut by the same woman every time--she manages the place and she is good enough to cut hair anywhere. Seriously. Always the same consistent A+ job. I won't let the rotating cast of butchers that work for her near me. I call ahead, find out if she's there and go specifically for her. I'm always happy with the job she does. And the haircut is so damned cheap that I just tip her well. I give her more tip than the cut itself costs, because honestly, I'd pay more than that for the cut she gives me if it wasn't at a Supercuts. I get good treatment, as a result. I call ahead and show up, and no matter how many people are waiting, right in the chair I go. I know I should feel like an asshole for that, but I don't demand special treatment. I just don't argue when I get it.

And BYH, my hair used to be really long, all one length. Almost down to my shoulders. And then a few years ago, it started to thin out. I didn't want to start to look Michael Boltonish or like one of those middle-aged foofs who is trying too hard. So I sucked it up and cut it off. I am not bald, but I get it cut pretty short now, the number 2 blade on the buzzer, tapered up and a little longer in the front. It took a while to get used to it like that, but it really is a better look.

Anyhow, back to football and Thanksgiving stuff...

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

If you want to get it fixed, go to a place with more credentials than Supercuts and explain to the guy - and get a guy - what happened.
    If he's worth his salt, he'll be able to fix it and in getting creative, might actually find you a look you like.
    I used to go to an inexpensive place and always came out with those exact same feelings.
    Upgraded to a place that charges about $22 and walk out feeling great every time. I also tip the guy at least $5.
    It's worth it, as I'm sure you realize now.

Draft saved Draft deleted