1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when a story falls flat?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jackofalltrades, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades New Member

Thanks for the input, all.

It's what I expected to hear, and what I'd been telling myself already. Of course these things always seem to carry more weight when someone else says them than when we say them ourselves.

I think part of the problem (maybe a big part) is that I don't write full time, so when I do write I tend to build the pieces up 'til they're carrying undue weight in my mind. Every piece has to be great, every piece is going to be the one that proves I'm a great writer/reporter ... and that's just not possible (or practical).

Again, thanks for the insights.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, if I wrote a story that I thought was good and didn't get a call about a mistake in the story or a gripe from a reader that I didn't include someone's cousin or didn't have to live down a mistake in a headline or a cutline, I felt wonderful.

Congrats, Jack.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This.

I can only think of one time in the last 10 years when I wrote something that I thought would be epic and it received a lot of positive feedback. I can also think of pieces I've written that I thought weren't worth the newsprint used to publish it and got a positive reaction.

There were a lot of pieces I wrote that heard crickets chirp. That's part of life.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spend a couple months working a story to death, and gotten nothing but shrugs. Spent an hour writing about an injured dog or an inspiring kid and everyone is your friend.

By the same token I've read stories by others that did nothing for me greeted with squeals by editors, touted for contests and celebrated. A lot of it is just having an editor on your side.

5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Jack: You want to be appreciated? Be a fireman. Otherwise, drive on

Draft saved Draft deleted