1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when a coach goes ballistic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. I think it was the phone that got him.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Put that in your fucking pipe and smoke it.

3. I think that's a bit over-sympathetic.
    Let the coach's blow off steam, boil over and cool down.
    But keep in mind ... IT IS STILL JUST A GAME!
    It's not like they just tried brain surgery on a 5-year-old cancer patient who died on the table. IT was a FOOTBALL game. With part-time coaches and part-time athletes. It sucks to lose, but it ain't the end of the world.
    Sometimes I think everyone is better served to remember that.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Always carry a loaded squirt gun to cool them off.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Orville,

I respectfully disagree with your point. Obviously, a football game is nowhere near as serious as brain surgery, but it is important to the person we're talking to. It's their job and they want to do it right, just like so many people on this board get pissed off when they don't like their own stories.

Coaches' decisions play out in public, where all mistakes are witnessed and picked apart. And, in brain surgery, if you fail, there is forgiveness because the odds were against you in the first place. People aren't so forgiving towards coaches.

You don't have to be overly sympathetic, and any coach who behaves like an asshole deserves to be treated like one. But I understand where editorhoo is coming from. My fiancee is an entertainment television producer and recently covered the Toronto International Film Festival. When she told me about the process for dealing with/asking questions of the stars, I couldn't believe it. It got me thinking, aside from athletes/coaches, who in the world is accountable right after performance?

Not movie stars/entertainers. If Dane Cook bombs on stage, he's not immediately facing the media. And God help you if you ask an entertainer anything remotely tough. You're cut off. Jeez, it's borderline impossible to get an interview with Sarah Palin, and she could become the most powerful woman on the planet. I know we complain a lot about access, and it's worse than it was before, but sports media gets it better than anyone else.

If you have a good, professional relationship with someone, it's smart to let a snarky post-game comment slide in that situation.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I think you have to make a difference between high school athletes and coaches and pros. If a high school kid or coach says something questionable, I always read back to them what they said, even if they're ranting, and ask them, are you sure this is what you said? If someone like Tony Stewart says something stupid, I have no problem reporting it. Most of the time he doesn't hang around long enough to give him a chance to think about what he said.

7. Everybody (or at least they should) wants to do thier job right.
    I just don't think football coaches (I'm mainly addressing high schools) should get a pass because a microphone or a recorder is thrust in their face five minutes after a loss.
    I've dealt with hundreds of coaches. One. One was a total jackass after every loss. It got old pretty quick.
    I've had a small handful say something off the charts (about refs or the paper or whatever) but most - easily the majority are familiar with the scenario and cool with it. I'm understanding about the situation as well.
    I give coaches a wide berth. I understand being frustrated. I hate to lose at things well and pride myself on doing a good job, but I really try not to take it on other people.
    It is not a coach thing. It's a respect thing.
    And I'm sorry. It's still just a game.
    Not NASA. Not medicine. Not accounting. No stockmarket ventures. Not city governmnet - all of which are more important than sports; a game.

I don't disagree with you EF, or Editorhoo,
    Like I said people - not just coaches - are really best served to remember it is still just a game and treat it as such.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I had to plow through several temper tantrums with a few coaches I've covered on my beat, particularly the first coach I had on a day-to-day basis.

My M.O. was to let him go, vent, stick with the facts if he came at me specifically, and get the presser back on point once he settled down. Most of the time, it worked. I never failed to quote his rantings.

We had a good relationship, and he understood that if he said something stupid or went off half-cocked in a presser, it was fair game and HE was accountable for it, not me, so it never really caused a problem.

I'd rather have someone like that than someone who greets you with a smiling face everyday, but tries to stab you in the back at every turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted