1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do on your day's off?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Dec 10, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, it's largely the same routine. Just double everything that you do now. You fix two lunches. You clean up after two kids. There are two baths at night. You play on the floor twice as much. Of course, there are those rare instances where both are doing cannonballs onto you at the same time. That's just good time management.

Try going to the grocery store some time with a 3-year-old boy and a baby stroller. I look like a friggin' train. I push the stroller with my left hand and pull the shopping cart along with my right hand. It makes for some wide turns.

In any case, I'll tell Mr. Clever what I do on my days off as long as he promises to pick up the kids once a week and do those same things with them while I smoke pot and bang college girls.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

On my days off, I think about going to the store and buying condoms, because if kids make me as big of a dickhead as HeinekenMan, I'm never having them.

Wrap it up, folks.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Excellent response to two very dickheaded posts. HM, usually you're way cool, but damn...

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We've got two kids: A 2-year-old and a 4-month-old. Yes, they take up a lot of time, but hearing the 2-year-old run through the house screaming "Daddy, daddy, daddy" when I get home from work makes it all worthwhile. And I never take a stroller to the grocery store. That's what the carts are for. The older kid in the seat, the baby in his car seat across the cargo area of the basket.

Don't let one bitter rant turn you off on kids. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think if our boy was smoking pot and banging college girls, he wouldn't be so bored on his days off that he'd go to work.

When my kids were pre-school and I had a midweek day off, we'd always go out to lunch. Always to the same place. I'd let them choose. They'd think about it and think about it and think about it and then say, "How about (favorite place)?" Done. Then we'd go feed the ducks with the old bread the restaurant gave us.

Once they started school, I'd go have lunch with them there.

THEN I'd go smoke the pot and bang the college girls.

Now? Laundry, other shit around the house, errands, play with the dogs, read, play with the dogs some more, deal with Mrs. M who wonders why more didn't get done during the day, play with the dogs some more.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Modaho's wife.

Oh, what the question was what do you do on your day off, not who do you do....my bad.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I was more emphasizing HM's random dickheadishness, but thanks. I'm looking forward to the days you describe in your post.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Oh my, I apologize. I'm so sorry. I think I need a vacation. Truth be told, every day is a vacation for me. I spend every day with my kids, and I probably just need a night out for a change of pace.

Let me start anew and ask just what sort of stuff does Mr. Clever enjoy?

I think photography is a nice way to go. There's always something of interest to shoot. And you can combine it with a lot of stuff, such as taking a Sunday drive or a Saturday hike. You might also turn an extra buck along the way.

Another option is gardening. It might sound lame, but I decided one year to start making my own salsa. It never panned out, but I discovered that you can grow tons of jalapenos with very little investment. If you have the space, adding some onions, tomatoes and peppers, along with a little herb garden with cilantro and such can bring great rewards. If you want to get creative, toss in some white corn or black beans or even some fruit.

Of course, sports is always an option. Because a day off is about relaxing, I'd suggest golf. It's fairly peaceful on the course. You can have a beer between holes and even read a nice book or magazine while you wait for the slow-pokes to play. A $100 investment can buy you beginner's clubs. The game can be fairly expensive, but there are annual rates that make it less of a hardship. They make nice gifts from family and friends, too.

If you're young, you probably haven't written a book yet. But you're going to be a step ahead of the game if you work on one during your free time. If you can't think of a topic, try starting a journal. They can make great brainstorming outlets.

Of course, there are all sorts of hobbies available to you. You might try flying kites, racing go-karts, rebuilding engines, collecting sportscards. Just make sure that you enjoy the hobby before investing a great deal of money into it.

Another option is to volunteer your time. I'm tutoring a guy who can't read. There are all sorts of volunteer opportunities in your community. If you can't find anything, check the United Way Web site. I believe it has links to local organizations across the country.

I started a family tree one year. I discovered a lot of interesting stuff. That might be a way to go.

Of course, the key is to recover from the work week. So don't feel obligated to run yourself ragged. Kick back and enjoy an opportunity to tune out. I find that smoking pot and banging college girls helps with this.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mod, we should've known you'd come through.

And HM, good comeback post. I find myself always married to my profession -- couple that with some 24-7 social ineptitude, and I face some of the issues our thread-creator does. It's sometimes a tough rut to break.

One thing I'm planning on doing is starting to volunteer with local kids. Show them the right way, and keep them from making the same mistake career choice that I made. [/sarcasmfont]

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I really miss smoking pot and banging college girls. :-\

Those were some of the finest years of my life. :D

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Reading all this was quite amusing! From angry to serious to banging hot chicks and smoking pot....I love it all. As for me I smoke weed and bang stripers.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

A little golf, a little photography and a lot of nothing watching Game Show and/or NFL Network.

Oh, and I love masturbating reading.

Draft saved Draft deleted