1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do if you don't want anything for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I swear, I'm beginning to hate the holidays. It used to be a pain shopping for my father, father-in-law and stepfather-in-law. All three are well off, and if they want something, they buy it. Makes them difficult to shop for.

But now I'm starting to know how they feel. I don't need nor really even want anything right now. (Well, OK, I want a garage. If I could change one thing about our house, it'd be adding a detached garage in the backyard.)

Is it wrong to just say "Cash, cold hard cash" when the parents ask what I want this year?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I do it every year, except this year. I needed some new clothes and knew I'd never go buy them myself. You could look at it that way.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tell them to make a donation to a charity that means something to you.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I asked my mom for money so I could switch cell phone companies at theend of the month. she said she'd give me what she could, but she also wanted to buy me some small things so I'd have something to open.

I'm guessing it's one of the lip makeup combinations from the Bare Escentual DVD.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Gift certificates to the stores and restaurants you frequent might be the answer.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm moving in a month, so that's what I told my mom I wanted. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, I don't need more.
    If you feel bad about asking for cash, though, you can always just ask for gift cards to a restaurant. It lets someone feel like they're buying you a gift instead of just writing a check, you get a nice night out with the Mrs., and you don't have any stuff left after you use it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a hummer or a boat. both or either would be nice.

8. Clever username

What about a hummer on a boat?

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Bingo.

A gift certificate to the Outback or something...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you earned your handle, didn't you, clever? ;)

11. Clever username

Boy, I've got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When you say "hummer," I hope you mean a car. Otherwise, that could be an awkward gift from momma and poppa Wretch.

Draft saved Draft deleted