1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do for fun?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 30, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been pondering this for a while now. No matter what topic comes up here, it is ultimately excoriated and picked apart. I went to see a movie tonight, and I enjoyed it. Coming out I thought, well, this one is probably being administered a death by a thousand paper cuts on the board, but it was exactly the escape I was looking for tonight.

Maybe that's an occupational hazard. Still, after a couple of movie threads it occurred to me that as a group we're so tuned to criticize that we can't enjoy anything. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads, but is that true? Are we really a profession of miserable louts? Should Oscar have come out of his trash can wearing a fedora with a press card slipped into the band? Or, do we actually have things in our lives we enjoy?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We enjoy excoriating and picking apart things.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Shut up, dools, you don't know what you're talking about!

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Who do you do for fun?

My wife.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You were awesome at t-ball, weren't you?

7. dooley_womack1

Me too.

8. dooley_womack1

With pitchers like you, yes.

And pall, get a shirt on, willya?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Two minutes, 20 seconds. You're slipping.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I enjoy going out for a good meal.

I enjoy sitting outside on a pretty day and reading.

I enjoy traveling, which I'm able to do in my job and during my time off.

I wish I had more things going on that I enjoyed, and more people to do them with, but I'm working on it.

Oh, and I do enjoy my job 80 percent of the time -- which in this day and age, and probably any, is a pretty good percentage.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Honestly, I don't do anything that's fun, for me. And I really mean that. I enjoy watching old DVDs and reading up on baseball, but I don't consider them fun. All I do is work, sleep and type on this joint, which is a solid way to spend some time (at least I think so), but I wouldn't call it fun.

I used to go to the bars last year, but I don't have many friends here. So I don't go out or have anyone to take to games or concerts or even throw the ball around with, so I sit around the house in my free time. And I left my Super Nintendo back in New York when I was there at the beginning of February.

So, my answer: Nothing.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mostly I jerk off and then drink until I stop crying.

Draft saved Draft deleted