1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you bring to work for lunch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wheateater, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

65 cents ... MINGYA! Ours are $1.25.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Vending machine at my job wants $2.50 for a Vitamin Water. They give us free Gatorade and water, we work outside in the heat, kinda nice to give us stuff.

I usually bring PB and J, does wonders for my energy.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Lots of leftovers, generally. Sandwiches other days.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Today, it's a roasted turkey sandwich with mozzarella, roasted red peppers and basil.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That sounds amazing.

6. I can't believe the number of people in a generally underpaid profession who eat out every day -- usually a sub or hamburger-fries type thing that probably costs $6-7 a day.

I make my lunch every day - sandwich, yogurt, piece of fruit, granola bar

I eat what I want, when I want, and it costs a fraction of cafeteria food

7. JackReacher

So you eat the same thing for lunch every day?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll go a week at a time where I'm eating the same thing every day. You can do tuna salad on the cheap, either serve it with pita bread or crackers, and you've got lunch for a whole week for less than $10. Yeah, it limits variety, but it's healthy and it keeps me from spending $40-50 a week on takeout lunches.

You can switch it up, obviously. One week it's tuna. Another it's turkey breast on wheat. Plus, since I work at home so much, it makes sense to eat lunch here.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Best thing about the office I work at is the subsidized vending machines. A can of pop is 25 cents and bags of chips are 30 cents. So if I bring a sandwich and a granola bar, I can buy a drink and chips to go along with it for 55 cents and be good to go.

10. JackReacher

I can usually go a couple days eating the same thing. Definitely not a whole week.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Chef Boyardee low fat ravioli

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Because of my living situation, I spent three years living on fast food. I regret most of it.
    The last two and a half months I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone fast food and still have a finger or two left over. I just feel ill eating that crap now.

I moved two and a half months ago and have brown bagged it since. It was a change fuelled by a sudden jump in living expences which has turned out to been great health-wise. I found out I actually like that 12 grain bread, which is weird because I have always hated whole wheat unless it was homemade.

I usually take a couple of sandwhiches -- often PBJ or some kind of deli meat -- two pieces of fruit and two sprite zeros. Pop at work is $1.25 so I try not to buy from there if I can help it. Even a choclate bar from the machine is $1.50. No cafeteria although there is a lunch room.

Draft saved Draft deleted