1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you boycott?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 27, 2012.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Tom Cruise movies
    John Travolta movies
    If I'm aware that you're a scientologist, I'm boycotting everything you do. They have every right to practice whatever religion they want and I have every right to think they're batshit crazy and not support them.

I can't digest chicken, so Chik-fil-A hasn't been an issue for 10 years.

I avoid giving money to as many major corporations as possible, but some days you just have to pull into Target or BP or McDonald's or whatever and get what you need and get on with your life.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think of a boycott being motivated by political or social justice concerns. If we expand it to places I won't use because they suck, I could type all day.

That said, I have driven the opposite direction of a BP with my low fuel light on, adding an extra mile and Friday afternoon gridlock just to avoid those bastards. Made it too.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I had no intention of ever lettting BoA get their hands on a nickel of my money, then they bought up my hometown bank and my mortgage along with it.

[​IMG]

God bless the repeal of Glass-Steagall which unleashed the Job Creators.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the late 1990s, I stopped watching World Championship Wrestling after they hyped up a main event match on Monday Nitro (Hulk Hogan vs. The Giant) for 3 hours, then pulled a bait and switch and said that the only way to watch the match would be to see it during the commercial breaks for the brand-new Robin Hood show, which would be on coincidentally right after the wrestling.

To me, they deliberately fucked their own fans. I only watched WCW a few other times just to see how horrible the product had gotten by the end of 2000/early 2001.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I've boycotted Chick-fil-A since news of their homophobia came to light a few years ago. Had one less than a mile from my old house, too.

Hobby Lobby for the last dozen years (there's always Michael's or Joann's).

I also refuse to patronize any commercial business owned by the Mormon church. The church should have lost their tax exemption a long time ago, not just for the political involvement but for the commercial dealings.

6. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Walmart, for many of the reasons already mentioned. Just don't even like going in them.

I'd probably add Chick Fil-A, but they don't have a presence here to begin with. For similar reasons, I stopped eating at Wendy's in 1997 when they pulled their ads from the Ellen DeGeneres show. I didn't even watch the show, but it just seemed like a cowardly move. In 2002, all of the other fast food burger places joined them when I just stopped going to them. I'll still have a good bar burger every now & then, and I'll do the sandwich shops, but I really don't miss McDonald's et al. much.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I really do want to stop going to Chick-Fil-A. But, dammit, they should stop making chicken that tastes so fucking good.

And Hobby Lobby? I fucking love that place. Yes, there are Michael's and Joann's. But do they have all the awesome stuff that Hobby Lobby does? No. It is an addiction that I can't stop.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

A new Chik-fil-A, the second for this town, just opened a couple of miles from my place. The big problem for them is the Jason's Deli about 200 feet across the parking lot, where I eat about three times a week.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Both. And the bathing kind.

With everybody pissed off at everyone else, I don't want to be left out. I figure this way I can offend both the left and the right, the atheists and the believers of whatever creed they follow.

You can ignore an asshole. But it's much harder to do when they smell like shit.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

McCourt's Dodgers ,,, glad that's over.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Jason's Deli could come out in favor of clubbing baby seals, say they use orphans as slave labor and announce a lobbying effort to bring back prohibition and I'd still eat there. Their corned beef is damned good.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I love Jason's Deli. They make a muffaletta that is unreal.

Draft saved Draft deleted