1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Ruben Studdard, Taylor Hicks and Katherine McPhee have in common?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jan 10, 2008.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

If I remember right, the "Sorry 2004" lyrics were, simply...the word 'sorry' repeated 2004 times. Am I close?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't get this whole fad - though I admit, I've never seen the show. Ed McMahon was ahead of his time. Now if they used a gong, then...

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Would have been fun to see Blake Lewis beat-box while Gene Gene the Dancing Machine did his thing.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Seriously, these were the words:

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Well fucking played, man. Well played.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm in the same boat. And I had no idea there even was a Katherine McPhee.

I'm still shocked.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No. 5 album of 2007 in terms of sales.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I own the Taylor Hicks album. There are about two songs on the thing that are noteworthy for their catchy refrains. The songs are all over the place. The problem isn't the artists so much as it's the speed at which they're rushed into the studio to make the albums. I saw an interview with Daughtry, and they rushed him so quickly that they actually used studio musicians to cut the album because they didn't take the time to hold auditions. He said he's looking forward to a second album so his band mates can play on the album rather than just on the tour.

Hicks and the others, though, also struggle from making music that doesn't mesh with today's fads. Watch VH1's Top 20 countdown this weekend, and you'll hear a bunch of tough-sounding lasses in shiny underwear. Their voices are all run through these echo machines. I can count off about 20 of them without even making an effort, and I don't even follow music.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Simon Cowell has said the show is merely a vehicle to sell records. It's almost like a focus group in a way to find a singer who has the widest appeal.
    Anybody know if the singers are free and clear from AI once their deals are done? I imagine its not that bad of a thing. Elliott Yamin didn't get an AI deal and his debut album did okay.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

She strikes again lol. Dam you have to much time on that copy desk if yours.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

So this is truly a thread full of fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted