1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do normal folks do on Friday nights (unexpected night off)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Sep 22, 2006.

1. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

So I'm tooling into the parking lot of a local school, ready to pick up a Friday night football game. Being the astute reporter I am, I notice not a lot of traffic and no sheriff's deputies blocking the entrance back to the football field. I drive back anyway...umm, no game. I call my office. We had both teams listing this game as a home game. Turns out the game is at the other school, a good 45 minutes away. We don't travel like that during the regular season. Soooo, bottom line. I ended up with an unexpected night (and day) off. Haven't had a true one since somewhere in August, so it's kind of neat, but I don't know what to do.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

begin drinking heavily

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Or continue drinking heavily, whichever might apply.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Normal folks? Why you asking us?

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You could watch the Hawktard broadcast.

6. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Oh hell Moddy. I don't know. I just figured somebody out there had a wife or husband who was normal. God knows we're not!

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You could call into your paper several times asking scores of random high school games, then hang up without saying thank you when they give you the score.

That seems to be what people do around here on Friday nights. :mad:

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

While intoxicated, no less :D

9. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

OK, well, it will take me a while to get started on the intoxication part. But calling up for scores is a fine idea. I just have to make sure I block. We have caller ID. :)

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I am enjoying watching Deal or No Deal this Friday night, but normally... I don't know. This is really my first Friday night "off" since I quit my job. I've been working for my dad and then last Friday, I had to do domestic stuff, like go grocery shopping.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ahem ... :p

12. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I'm supposed to meet some friends at the local coffee shop for an hour or so, then I had arranged to let our prep writer use my house (wireless internet) to file his story after his game since my house is 1 mile from the stadium he's at. After that, I think I'm going to work on the intoxication part! :)

I guess I was just shocked to end up having the entire day off. Not bad since I didn't get home until 2 a.m. after covering a college game last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted