1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do newspaper Web editors make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, how about an edit? Jesus.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's not Lincoln. It's not that big a paper. People on this board who know me probably can figure out where it is.

I went in today and it went well. Thanks for the help.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Casper was about $30k when I interviewed there.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Small-to-midsize BCS college town? Not Lincoln. Maybe College Station, Texas; Auburn, Alabama; Morgantown, WV; Ames, Iowa; State College, Pa. I have no idea, just throwing out some names that would fit the bill. Lincoln is actually a pretty decent size city and the second-largest city in the state.

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

That's right, dog the guy until you blow his cover. Good times.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Because that job was just open and posted on this site, seemed like an easy guess. And knowing the size of the paper is a better way to estimate the salary than the size of the town.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Send a private message, then. Don't do what you did.

8. Matt Stephens

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm not even really trying very hard to keep my "cover". I've more or less outed myself on the board to anybody who would know or care who I am (I'm nobody so that's not a long list), but I guess I try to keep a bit of anonymity. Some people have figured out the paper in PM, now I'm curious to see if everybody else does.

By the way, I just checked ABC and the circ is listed at 25,000. Like everywhere else, that's down quite a bit from where it was just a few years ago.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Me! Me! Me! I know I know I know I know I know!!!

Take less than 50 and I'll come by there and whup yer ass.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Matt,

It's never too late to get a clue.

Mark has been around long enough to know better. In your case, having seen some of your posts, I'm going to chalk it up to ignorance and a lack of self-awareness. But let me explain it to you:

It's fine if Jake wants to out himself, and since your post he has revealed a bit more, but this is for what anyone might post in the future: Don't do anything to connect dots publicly that the original poster didn't connect. There is a strict rule about outing (for those people who don't post their marriage proposals online).

It's not so hard to see this kind of thing playing out:

-- Someone posts what Jake did.
    -- Someone posts what you did.
    -- Eventually, someone at the place where the poster applied finds the posts (more easily because the identifying paper or city is in the post, and much easier to accidentally stumble upon).
    -- Eventually, that person knows the poster's identity, and therefore his anonymity is blown, through no choice of his own.

Uncool move, no matter how many juvenile icons you post in response to being called out.

If Jake wants to out himself, that's cool. You don't have a right to do it on this board, and what you did is dangerously close. Just letting you know, because you can get banned this way.

Merry Christmas.

12. Matt Stephens

Ah. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted