1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do newspaper Web editors make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I know there's not one standard answer to that question, but I'm interviewing for the Digital Content Coordinator position at a small-to-midsize daily in a BCS college town and if we get to the point of talking money I don't know what to expect. I'd have a better idea about what kind of salary to expect/ask for if it was writer or section editor job.

If I got it I would be in charge of all the paper's Web sites (right now the main site and a site devoted to the local college sports) and social media, also the sites for a smaller daily and a few weeklies in surrounding counties and leading the charge for new digital ventures.

Thanks for any help.

2. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I'd try to get section editor money at least. More if you can. Those Web sites are "sections," too. And you would have a few of them to manage. So that sounds like manager money to me. Interesting choice of job title in that regard. Coordinator ... or manager?

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Having done that position before, I'd say you should be paid ASE money. At the end of the day, the SE is still going to have final say on content, but your influence should be as much as any ASE on staff.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you're overseeing all Web content across all media (this means social media, tablet devices, etc.) and sections, you should ask for assistant managing editor or section editor pay. If you're only overseeing sports content or you'd have a superior who deals with all Web content, then you'd ask for an assistant section editor pay.

The exact number would be dictated by the location and size of the newspaper and the value it places on digital content.

5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

And even that seems underpaid due to the workload of managing multiple Websites for multiple dailies. Would you be in charge of editing video and other forms of multimedia?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I assume the pay is less than $30K.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm thinking more than that, but I wouldn't be shocked if it offered less. Thanks for everyone's help.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Red-reading the original post, I would amend what I said from ASE pay to AME pay. I originally read it was an online SE type deal, not online editor, period.

Yes, this should be considered an AME position or at least equivalent to one.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is the paper large enough to even have an AME?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It should pay about $40K. That said, sometimes the people most qualified for these positions are straight out of school and they can get away with paying much less.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you're interviewing in <this town>? I'm guessing around <random salary>.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Matt, Jake made a point of not stating where he was applying. Why would you publicly guess?

Draft saved Draft deleted