1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do I Need To Get Into Canada These Days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jul 16, 2010.

  1. Lugnuts

    Lugnuts Well-Known Member

    Hi all... I'm looking to go to Toronto in a couple of months but just realized my passport expired. Do I need to do a rush renewal, or can I go with a birth certificate?

    Please advise, and if you want to throw in a good Toronto restaurant rec, I'd love that, too.

  2. Fly

    Fly Well-Known Member

    It's not getting in, it's getting back. A passport is required to travel into the US from Canuckistan.
  3. RickStain

    RickStain Well-Known Member

    Like Fly said, you'll need the rush renewal. Technically, Canada doesn't require a passport, but the U.S. does for return, and I don't think Canada will let you in if you aren't prepared to return.
  4. The Big Ragu

    The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

    Why do it expedited if your trip is in a couple of months? The normal process usually takes less than 6 weeks, right?

    Other tips, though. 1) Don't drink the water. 2) Hire a good interpreter. 3) Lots of Rocky & Bullwinkle jokes at customs. They love em!
  5. JR

    JR Well-Known Member

    One heads-up Lugs. TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) opens Sept 9 and runs for 11 days. Hotel rooms will be at a premium during those dates.

    As far as good restaurants, here's a pretty good list (along with reviews of some of them )--the 50 Best Restaurants in Toronto. These are mostly all high end restos---anywhere from $150-$200 for two.


    I'd quibble with a couple of their choices. La Bodega is a fussy French restaurant that has pretty much had the same menu for thirty years.

    If money were no object, I would recommend: Canoe, Black Hoof (haven't been there but the reviews have been fabulous and a table is tough to get), Panagea, Scaramouche, North 44, and Splendido.

    You might also want to check out Toronto Life for a comprehensive list, including Cheap Eats.

  6. CR19

    CR19 Member

    Don't go to Canadian dinner theaters. Someone dragged me to "Oh Canada, Eh?" during my trip to Niagara Falls and I still haven't recovered. The last time I ever consider dinner entertainment as a good idea.

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. HC

    HC Well-Known Member

    CR19 - Don't go to ANY dinner theatre. Good basic rule of thumb. Mediocre food and mediocre theatre, usually. Lugs ... can give you lots of specific advice if you need but most important ... will you have time for a beer with the Ontario SJ contingent???
  8. Starman

    Starman Well-Known Member

    If you live in a bordering state, you should be able to get an "enhanced driver's license" which will speed your way through border crossings for Canada (and Mexico if you happen to need it).

    Cheaper (about half the price) and faster (I got mine in 10 days) than a passport. You will need a notarized copy of your birth certificate to get it.

    I went over to Canada and back last fall and when I finally got to the gate, it was 30 seconds, are you carrying any illegal materials, no sir, thank you, wham-bam. Of course, I did have to wait 4 hours in line at the Peace Bridge, but once I GOT to the gate, it was a snap.

    Check with your local secretary of state; they can give you the details.
  9. Fly

    Fly Well-Known Member

    GB the NEXUS.
  10. Dyno

    Dyno Well-Known Member

    Passport fees went up on Tuesday. Based on the number of people at the post office on Monday trying to get in under the wire (like me), I suspect that the turnaround time is going to be a little slow.
  11. WolvEagle

    WolvEagle Active Member

    Our paper is in Michigan, a short drive from the two Detroit-Windsor crossings. If you're going by car...

    At a customs booth, U.S. citizens must present a U.S. passport, a U.S. passport card, a trusted traveler program card or a Michigan enhanced driver’s license. U.S. citizens 16 and younger can present one of the above documents or a birth certificate.
    Visit www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/ for more information.
  12. CR19

    CR19 Member

    I wish the friend that dragged me to the place heard that advice. If only I knew...
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page