1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do I Do With VHS Tapes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Old VHS tapes + skeet shooting = Hijinks!

2. nbafan89

nbafan89 New Member

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm hesitant to get rid of about 60 VHS tapes that I have. Most rare sporting events from long ago. I do have a DVD recorder and have burned over much of it.

Here is why I don't trust DVDs entirely:

VHS is analog, in that there is an ACTUAL recording that plays. Assuming that your VHS player works, it will always play until the tape gets eaten.

I'm still unconvinced that the DVDs we all burn will actually work in 10-15 years. CDs play but I often run into DVDs that don't play in certain machines. Until the DVD world gets on one "track" (DVD-R, DVD+R, etc.), I'd keep those VHS tapes handy -- even if in the attic.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The engineers in my broadcasting department mentioned in a meeting the other day that they suspect DVDs have a shelf life of about 15 years or so before they start to corrupt. They want us to convert all our digimedia to hard drives soon.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I actually saw blank VHS tapes in a prominent display at the drug store the other day. I'm figuring the stock clerk was high.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised. There are in still a few places. VHS machines, on the other hand, tend to only be in pawn shops.

In the TV world, many managers still ask for a VHS tape to look at candidates. Why? Because VHS tapes always play. No formatting snafu, No "Sony DVDs won't play in Toshiba DVD player" issues.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, I know blank VHS tapes are still sold. Hell I had to find a tape recorder for my Dad a few months ago and those are still sold, so I don't expect blank VHS tapes to disappear from shelves anytime soon.

But the other night marked the first time I've seen them prominently displayed since, shit, I don't know, 1997?

Draft saved Draft deleted