1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do I Do With VHS Tapes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I remember when I got my first VCR in the early or mid-1980s, I was so excited, I was going to tape all these wonderful sporting events and TV shows, and watch them over and over and over again. So I spent the best part of a decade taping shit all the time, and piled up a carton of a couple hundred VHS tapes.

I haven't watched one of 'em in 10 goddamn years. I still have a VCR hooked into my TV, but I haven't played anything on it in a couple years. Every so often I think about trying to sort through 'em, but more likely, one of these weeks I'm junt gonna put the whole carton out on the curb on trash day.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Old VHS tapes can be recycled if you want to put in the extra tree-hugging effort. Greendisk.com has some information. Also, I've donated old VHS movies to the Goodwill. That may be an option for you, as well.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A few years ago I transferred some family videos to DVD. The quality is OK, but you're options are limited.

Everything else, movies, sports stuff you should just toss.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first time I watched a DVD, VHS was ruined for me.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The first time a DVD I bought got a scratch and started skipping three days after purchase, I vowed to never toss my tapes, especially the 1987 NBA Finals. VHS forever!

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I just learned that one of my grad courses for next quarter is only available via videocassette. I wish I were kidding. Guess it's a good thing I've held onto that VCR.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We just tossed out 370 blank VHS tapes here at work last week. My colleague had the best idea: Let's send them to Cuba, this stuff is state of the art there.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. nbafan89

nbafan89 New Member

what did they contain? did they contain any sport

10. nbafan89

nbafan89 New Member

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yup, I made a decision nbafan98. Not sure the point of your post. I asked for advice. Got some - but not a lot - before garbage day (the first "VHS is recyclable" came after I decided to pitch them. And, in the first post, also asked if anyone packs and unpacks these things.

So, you're point?

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They're probably still trying to decide between VHS and Beta.

Draft saved Draft deleted