1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do editors look for when hiring editors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Apr 10, 2008.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

The "general" statements referred to all editors being spineless kiss-asses.

No one with any mature sense of work thinks that and if they do, then they're just stupid.

By implying I would be fired for refusing rinky-dink assignments was perhaps over-stated.

I would also consider over-stated the comparison of ceding to a publisher's request the equivalent of ignoring Jayson Blair style fiction.

My point is everyone's job is tough - not one tougher than another - but I take pride in having a good understanding of how tough my staff's job is, and it irritates me when I hear little pukes stereotype my job as meeting, long lunch, meeting golf.

There is not a day of the year that I don't think of my job - I take and make calls at night and when I'm on vacation - not because I'm a workaholic - but because I feel a responsibility to be on top of things so that my staff can do their jobs.

My suggestion to you is, if you work for a spineless kiss-ass, then show some balls and go find work somewhere else.

2. I don't think all editors are spineless kiss-ups. I've had some good ones. I'm just curious what criteria editors use to hire more editors.

I've just been amazed by the reporters I've seen promoted to an editor role. More times than not it seems editors promote someone who never disagrees with them and spends their free time chatting them up.

3. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

I can't speak for all editors, but the last ones I hire are ass-kissers. I want someone who speaks his or her mind and will stop me before I kill again. I want good line editors with good work ethics who are excellent reporters and writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted