1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do College Kids Need?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Everybody loves being a bartender in their 20s. The older folks who are regulars tell great stories and leave good tips. The young customers think you're "Bartender Hot" and it's easier to score.

But when you're in your 30s or 40s or 50s dealing with the the bullshit of a bar, it's different. Especially if you want to have a family. Or if you're on the one worrying about paying the beer distributer and whether your staff is carding underage kids when you aren't there.

I loved bartending and bouncing when I was younger. Absolutely loved it. Then three years ago, at 39, a friend who owns a bar asked me to help one weekend when flu was ripping through his staff. I hated it. Even the $200+ in tips I made in one night didn't change it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Two words:
    Strip
    Club

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, this is why I don't want to be in the bar biz (wife, two kids, high startup cost, insurance, etc.)

I wish I knew how to cut hair. I'd open a Sports Clips franchise or something.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Not legal within city limits.

Oh, and not sure my wife would want that.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If there's no nice little coffee shop with some room to study, I'd look into that.

6. Pete Incaviglia

There's a really popular one a ways off campus.

I and the other sports reporter who got bumped last year were discussing owning a coffee shop today.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'll second it. Small corner shop, stupid coffee-themed pun as a nickname, anti-Starbucks t-shirts and bumper stickers, hippie liberal music in the background, college kids as baristas. If you can get the $$ and the land, there you go.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, the coffee shop/hang out spot (with available wireless, of course) might be a pretty good idea.

One at the local campus is pretty spread out ... there's a area to study, another section has sofas/chairs if you'd rather just lounge around. They also pack the place whenever they have concerts or open mic nights.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

don't forget legal costs to get your liquor license. and if you own a bar, you're pretty much married to it. no time left for wife or kiddo. i still haven't given up the dream of owning a publication of my own but it ain't happening in this economy and it would probably need to be a niche rag.

something else i've considered lately is a home health agency. the aging of america is making and will continue to make this area a money printing press.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You're going about this all wrong. Get a tow truck.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. Pete Incaviglia

I also was thinking of a commercial cleaning business (offices, banks, etc). It's work no one wants to do. And, you do it on the midnight shift, which I love.

Draft saved Draft deleted