1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do College Kids Need?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Ok. I'm sick of this job. Sick of this business. I want to make a go of it on my own.

I'm in a thriving college town. Small school. Small-ish city.

My question: What do college kids needs or want or better yet, waste a lot of money on?

I'm thinking booze. But I'm not sure I'd want to own a bar.

But I can't, off the top of my head, think of what else they need or want this day and age - besides cheap food. That said, I could open a pizzeria.

I used to want cheap music when I went to school. But it's "free" now on the interwebs.

I'm just sitting here brainstorming. Any other ideas thrown out would be appreciated.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Being the parent of a college-age kid, I would say you picked the top two. Booze and food. That pretty much sums it up.

On a serious note, my kid always complains about not having a place to hang out with like-minded people where they can study, converse, discuss their own problems, without the booze hanging around. But they always want lots of cheap food. And free parking. And free internet.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Honestly, they really can get all the dope, tail and booze they want. That crap is all over the place.

Or so I've been told.

6. Pete Incaviglia

RE: Dope and tail.

I'd like to provide an item or service I won't go to jail for.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Start a church with a youth mission.

It would be tax-free and you might be able to get away with a bit of that laying-on-of-the-hands stuff.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hope you have a lot of money for start-up coast if you're thinking of opening a bar. and for that matter, a pizza place - or any business that you don't run from home - ain't cheap to open. and banks aren't exactly falling over themselves to make small business loans.

sorry to rain on the parade. i've been looking to go out on my own is some business, myself, for a couple of years.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Don't forget insurance, which is high for a bar to begin with,not to mention in a college town (which I'm not sure, buut would imagine it has to be a bit higher).

Or you could just do what I did and become a bartender. Pay sucks, but the tips are great.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Funny thing is, I was a bartender right out of college while looking for my first fulltime journo job. I loved it.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Anyone mention dope and tail yet?

If so: Weed and ass.

And it doesn't have to be particularly good ass or weed, either.

12. Pete Incaviglia

That much is obvious from my office window today/this evening as I watch guys fall over girls during St. Patty's Day debauchery.

Draft saved Draft deleted