1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did you think in 1998?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The creatine supplements you got in stores 16 years ago weren't all they were cracked up to be. Besides the fact that they were largely unregulated and contained God knows what.

Your body has a natural amount of creatine already that is taken in by eating red meat and fish, and only requires a few grams intake per day. The excess is excreted via urine, so you were literally pissing away what you spent at the supplement store. Formaldehyde is also one of the byproducts of metabolizing creatine.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of course not. But we didn't know that at the time, right? It was a new wonder supplement - in reality a product of wonder marketing - and it made complete sense that these titans would bulk up through it. I don't know GNC's timeline, but I think that the late '90s was when it became a retail phenomenon.

Steroids? They seemed passe in 1998.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Steroids seemed passe in 98? That is either so naive or revisionist history. I'm not sure how you could have been around sports or more importanly been around a gym and believe this. Yes there were all these new supplements but there wsa no better "supplement" than steroids.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was 21 years old, fat, and attended a NCAA Division III university.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I'm in the minority. I liked the last Seinfeld episode.

What is this BCS thing, anyway?

Words I never thought would go together: Scott Brosius, World Series MVP

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I know among high school athletes in my area, I was one of them, there was a misguided notion that creatine was awesome because you didn't have to do real steroids.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, creatine was very big among the high school set at the time -- we did a story on it, as I recall.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Was cute as a button. Could easily pass for one of the high school kids I covered.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I read a newspaper story when I was in eighth grade about anabolic steroids and how they help build muscle mass. This was many, many years before Lyle Alzado and McGwire/Sosa. The ABC Afterschool Special was probably the first time most kids had ever heard of steroid use.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted