1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did you get for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 27, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If DD had been naughty he would have been given two.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As HC mentioned, having power back for Xmas after a 56 hour outage was the best gift.

As always, she was incredibly generous: an iPod Classic and three books: one on the history and architecture of North American barns and another on water mills in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. (Yeah, it's weird but what can I say?) And "French Feasts" a 500 page book on French food. Part bistro guide, part cookbook.

And my lovely sons, including one's fiance and another one's g/f gave me a lovely tartan flannel dressing gown, two books and many other gifts too numerous to mention.

My son G's beautiful and much loved girlfriend from France made HC & me a calendar with photos of all of us she downloaded from FB. It's our 2014 official one. The next best gift she can give is returning from France on another visa.

Lots of love all around

And did I mention an iPod? :)

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Not much, but I didn't ask for much, either.
    Main thing was an awesome hooded WAZZU sweatshirt from my in-laws.
    My wife got me an F1 game, but the download off Amazon didn't work right. Spent all day last Saturday trying to make it work to no avail.
    My wife got the good stuff. On Thanksgiving my dad gave her his 1-year-old iPad, then she got a KitchenAid mixer she's been wanting for years. Gifts on Christmas day itself were kinda anti-climatic after that.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

My girlfriend got me some expensive bourbon and a handmade growler from etsy. Her parents got me a couple of things, too, which I really wasn't expecting.

Sadly, though, from my side of the family, I got a text message from my mom. And my dad just returned my call yesterday. Which is exactly what I got for my birthday, too.

I sent them both gifts, via UPS, and the tracking says they got them. And it's not about that, I didn't spend a lot of money, and they did raise, feed, shelter, etc. me, so, it's the least I can do.

But I'm really getting to the end of my patience with my father. It wouldn't be so bad if he was still the piece that he used to be, then I just wrote him off. But now he parades around at church having recently rediscovered religion. He tells me I should really start going, too. Maybe I should just honor my father and my mother and shut up.

Sorry to bring the thread down.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Between the Fitbit and the DDP Yoga, I've lost seven pounds since Christmas without even really trying.

DDP Yoga is the greatest workout ever, especially if you have back issues.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, those. They definitely feel delicate, but they look awesome. I won't run them in the dishwasher to get shaken around. And they definitely are for one-drink nights, like a cocktail or beer while watching a movie or game, and not the days where things might get careless.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Is the Fitbit uncomfortable to type with?

8. Mizzougrad96

Not at all... It's just like a cross between a watch and one of those Lance Armstrong bracelets.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I was naughty, so it didn't fit. One of those artsy new ones where an XXL is really a medium.

That or I'm too fat. Probably the latter.

10. Mizzougrad96

Inconsistent sizing pisses me off. I'm a XL in most things, but I generally buy XXLs in T-shirts and hoodies. My ideal size is XLT which is what I wear in dress shirts and polos. I've gotten XXLs that look like they can fit another person in there and others that barely fit.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Mrs Fly thinks they're "sexy". Wish she'd say/think the same about me more often :kicksrock:

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sweats/workout clothes are the ones that drive me crazy. I wear an XXL in most shirts, but I take a large in sweatpants. My fiance's grandmother got me a pair of XXL workout shorts for Christmas and they looked like they would fit Shaquille O'Neal.

Draft saved Draft deleted