1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did The Office mean to you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, May 7, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The show ends after nine seasons in nine days. I know a lot of people who loved it at its peak, many who left the show two or three seasons ago out of frustration. What will The Office's legacy be? How will you remember it? What are your fondest Office memories?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For fondest memories, Prison Mike and the deposition. I still can't pass them up on reruns.

For what it meant ... before it got so watered-down and stretched out, it actually felt like an office. Exaggerated scenes of things that actually happened when I was at work. One co-worker was talking about when the place wanted her to work all this extra time but not put in for OT, and I asked her if they offered to pay in Schrutebucks. But every character did have some connection to real life: Jim's the smart-ass, Pam's the cutie, Stanley was the old guy who just didn't give a fuck and was never going to anymore. And then you had the tension of "work parties" -- who gets invited and who doesn't, is it going to ruin the whole vibe, etc.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It made me learn what cinéma vérité is.

It also provided a great opportunity for Eurosnobs to tell us that the English version is superior.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's been written in the Hipster Douchebag Code since 2004 that they have to point that out. Every single one of them deserves to lose some teeth.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this the other day. My answer is: nothing. I've seen every episode of the show and it turns out I don't really even like it. I would have stopped watching a few seasons ago, but I'm a completist. Stupid, I know. I never liked Michael Scott so Steve Carell's leaving didn't really matter much to me. It made me laugh, but I won't miss it when it's gone.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was terrific in the early seasons, probably the first three. It finally 100 percent jumped the shark in the wedding episode.

It was actually a pretty ground-breaking show. No laugh track. Single-camera. Awkward humor. People forget how good it was early on, how gritty.

It provided some great SportsJournalists.com conflict material, with about half the board's fans defending it long after it should have been put out to pasture. You know it had run its course when the arguments became: "Stop analyzing it!!! It's just TV!!!! They can do what they want!!!"

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I fall in the haven't-watched-it-in-years camp. Even in the beginning, it was a show I always enjoyed when I watched it, but it didn't bother me if I missed it.

8. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i watch it when i'm too lazy to put on netfix when i get home from work at 2 a.m. and my fiancee is in bed b/c she goes to work at 6 a.m.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The first season, when Steve Carrell was sporting the greased-back hair, wasn't really that great. "Diversity Day" is a classic, but beyond that, there's not a whole lot in the six-episode run.

The second season is great. The third is almost as good.

Then the decline began. The show lost its heart when it put Jim and Pam together. It struggled with all sorts of bumps. It never recovered. It influenced my TV watching great, and it's responsible for the making of a much better show, Parks and Recreation. So there's that. Maybe that's its legacy. Maybe it's a show that's more important than it was good. But right now it has about 50 great episodes out of abut 200. That's not a great show.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What I remember most about the show is that it prompted several people at sj to change their handles to an Office name or reference, back when you could freely change your handle. Anyhoo, I saw a few episodes. Cute little show, got some giggles out of it

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

How was 'The Office' responsible for Parks and Recreation?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It means I can say, "That's what she said" at work and get away with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted