1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What defines our success?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

As far as awards are concerned, it's all subjective. I consider getting a good pay check as what defines my success.

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Success is having a job and receiving compliments from readers and staff.

I have applied for several journalism and photography awards in my first five years. As of now, I have nothing to show for it in terms of hardware. Honestly, while it would be nice to get one or two, I decided it doesn't matter. It won't give me a raise or a promotion. It would only feed an ego that may live in the past and not focus on the work ahead.

If I get one, I will celebrate with family. But I don't expect anyone else to care.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

A couple years ago, I was obsessed with awards and being the best. Then I found out in about a five-month period that none of that crap matters when you get on the wrong side of a publisher who is unqualified for her job and has an ego problem.
    In the time since, I've really taken stock of my life and tried to imagine being on my death bed in (hopefully) 50 or so years.
    I honestly don't think any of that stuff matters. When I'm on my last legs and I really reflect on my life, I want to feel like I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish and, really, I know I won't care in that moment what other people think.
    That being said, my proudest moment of my career thus far was winning first place in a state press association contest for a story that was important to me on the death of a coach I really liked.
    I was fortunate to cover the story as the main beat writer for the piece was on his honeymoon and I wanted to nail it so winning an award in a contest I cared about, and finishing second with the piece in a regional contest and a small suburban national contest, was just the icing on the cake.
    So, I guess in the end the only thing that should define your success is if you achieve your goals. And only you can decide what goals are important to you.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

It's something nice to brag about on Facebook but I don't lose any sleep over not having any.

5. moonlight

moonlight Member

I have a bunch of awards in my closet that will stay there until the producers of "Hoarders" come for a visit, but I've made a point to not let those awards define my success.

I feel like a success because I am fortunate enough to love my job. Here's why:
    • I rarely get assignments from the SE. He lets me find my own features and enterprise stories. I'm lucky that way.
    • After almost 20 years, I still get fascinated by writing the garden-variety gamers.
    • No matter how good of a story I write, I feel like I can do better.
    • I don't make much money, but for where I live, I do OK.
    • Most importantly, while my friends and family are sluggishly making their way to "work" every day, I feel like I have a hobby that I get paid for.

Having said that, I want a raise. And I hope I never have to take a call from an irate swim parent. And I want a constitutional amendment banning anyone from canceling their newspaper subscription. And I want people to understand why a newspaper is important in the community. And I want another week of (paid) vacation. And did I mention the swim parents? Fuck 'em.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I was good at my job for 15 years. Won a few state awards and broke lots of news. I was a success at my job, but newspapers never allowed me to be successful.

My most successful day was the day last August that I walked into the office and told my boss I was quitting at the end of the year. It was the day -- after 5 years without a raise and still making under $40K despite 15 years in -- that I determined what I was worth.

I still smile thinking about that day.

7. welch10

welch10 New Member

My SE says he'll know he makes it big when he doesn't have to write his own box scores.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Riffing off what moonlight said, I covered a game at a high school basketball tournament last night that ran late.

Game got over about 10:15, I waited about five minutes by the locker room for the coach and a couple of players to get a few quotes, sat down at 10:30 to write with an 11 o'clock deadline.

Twenty minutes later I was dropping a decent 18-inch gamer in the folder for the desk to put on the page. No stress, no fuss, just knocked it out. Being able to do that routinely gives me a lot of personal satisfaction.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Per DaytonaDan's request:

Chickens singing Cee Lo's "Forget You":

(Clip from "The Muppets" movie from 2011)

Draft saved Draft deleted