1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What courses should I choose?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flyers9, Mar 11, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

mother-in-law runs a mid-sized hospital. just had to lay off nine people a few weeks back. no job is safe.

2. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

The way things are going right now, nine people getting laid off is a good day.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seriously, Bianca, read this post over and over and commit it to memory. It is absolutely the correct answer.

When I was in high school and was sure I wanted to write for a newspaper someday, everyone in the field had the same advice - don't major in journalism. It was good advice then, and it's better now. You are much better off majoring in something else, even if you end up in journalism. Majoring in business or economics would give you a big advantage in covering the business world, far more than a J-school degree ever would.

And realistically... journalism jobs are going to be very, very, very scarce by the time you enter the workforce.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

The more seasoned veterans can attest better to the woes of the industry, but I'll say it bluntly: Major in something else. You're a junior in high school and you have plenty of time to find something else you're interested in. Talk to your guidance counselor who can suggest possible career choices based upon your interests or simply sit down and write down things you'd like to do.

There's no need to panic concerning the position you're in, but most will suggest on this board that you are better off not majoring in journalism.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

We are facing crisis levels due to nursing shortages. Natal unit at one regional hospital has closed.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I had the guts to go into nursing. Two years in school and name your price.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I hear all of the news about a shortage of nurses, then you hear about health care companies laying off nurses.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think everyone on this board has a story about how rough the industry is. Whether it be some of the seasoned beat writers who got railroaded and cut because they made too much, the lucky ones that got out of the business, and even the young ones.

I don't know who the youngest people on this board are. I'm sure I'm one of them, I know Jay Sherman is another - and I know his stories of the industry aren't much better. Kevin, is a youngin' too if I remember correctly and even he suggests not majoring in journalism.

Writing is always something you can do as a hobby. Because it certainly isn't something you get into for the money - whether it is your career or not.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Go into knife sales. I hear it's a solid career.

(reminds me, I need to look up Pickle Juice to see if she knows of any jobs)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, Simon would be an excellent source.
    He's been on this board forever, has been writing for several years and had grand designs on being a journalist. Haven't talked to him in a while, but he's still at Mizzou. Be interesting to see what he thinks of his once and future plans...

It's a noble thought, Bianca. But the world is putting the next generation of f-ing studs out to pasture.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

C'mon, people, she's in HIGH SCHOOL. By the time she graduates, we may not even have a country left to report about.

12. flyers9

flyers9 New Member

Hi everyone, thanks for all the rather amusing advice. It has definitely been an eye opener. I couldn't possibly be a nurse as I cannot stand the sight of blood. (unless, of course, its gushing from Crosby's head :). I will most certainly meet with my school councilor to discuss my career path but will most definitely follow my dream to write for the NHL, more importantly the Philadelphia Flyers !

Draft saved Draft deleted