1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What constitutes a "helluva sports editor?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, Apr 4, 2009.

1. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Top 15 in the past 20 years, in no particular order:

Fannin; Fred Turner; Mike Sherman in Oklahoma; Greg Brownell in NY; Greg Swartz in SF; Glen Crevier in Minneapolis; Emilio In D.C.; Jeff Otterbein in Hartford; Chet Fussman in Jacksonville; Joe Sullivan in Boston; Anger; Jerry Micco in Pittsburgh; Van McKenzie; Pat McLoone in Philly and Chris D'Amico in Newak.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Great list; I personally think Dwyre belongs somewhere in there and, of course, Doria and Dave Smith were active in newspapers in that time as well.

3. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Can't disagree w/ you, SF; Dwyre big-timed me a few times so I guess I hold a grudge; and I think Doria and Smith were both historic figures, but Doria has been out of papers for most of the past 20 years. That was my thinking. Smith? No question.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pizza for the department.

That's my kinda sports editor.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd add Burke, John Rawlings (just under the 20-year bar), Henry Freeman, Jim Colonna, Dave Robinson and Phil Laciura while the Detroit papers slugged it out pre-JOA, Jay Searcy, Pete Wevurski, Ken Tingley, Tom Patterson, Tim Ellerbee (especially for Anderson, SC).

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Funny how these things work. Only occasion I've spent much time around Dwyre, he couldn't have been more gracious. He had a whole room of people to talk to afterward, and my girlfriend and I couldn't push him away if we tried. He asked all about us and our careers in journalism, and we talked shop for 15 minutes. His wife had to finally come over and pull him away from us because she had an appointment to get to. He apologized for ending our conversation so suddenly. Just an incredibly pleasant experience.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dave Robinson once told me that I was one of the top two for a job, but didn't get it because they "opted for minority hiring."
    I always regretted not taping that phone call.

Robinson/Slappy=Zimanek/Hoops McCann

8. George's List is excellent.

As for Frank's, I don't know dave robinson. Where was he? Frank's list is good. Really like the inclusion of Tom Patterson. great guy.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Dave Robinson was very good as Free Press sports editor from mid-80s to early 1990s, and then was an AME or DME and later, of course, took a buyout. I think he was part of the Miami Herald stable of editors before that.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'd throw out five from your first list, stick in two of SF's and still want five of my own nominating in that list of "15."

This sort of thing is impossible, unless a bunch of us have worked for the same bunch of them.

Wonder what the record is here, for most SEs worked with/for/under so far in a career. Anyone? Anyone? I've had 10, a meager number I'm sure.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I've had two and I've been in the business for less than eight months.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

That about sums it up.

Except ... no respectable sports editor would let a writer get away with "helluva." Is it really so hard to use the English language and write hell of a ...?

Draft saved Draft deleted