1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What constitutes a "helluva sports editor?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

This should be worth a new thread, rather than make it part of Hoppes-bashing.

This was my answer:

1. Nobody in the business rolls their eyes when you mention his or her name. This is a key test to weed out self-promoters.
    2. These editors have good story ideas and also can roll up their sleeves and edit the story.
    3. They can find and nurture talent both on the desk and on the writing staff.
    4. They are on-the-scene leaders, especially when big stories break.
    5. They have a full grasp of the stories of the day both in and out of their shops.
    6.. They are well-respected in sports and other parts of the newsroom because they sincerely care about their people and publication.

Thoughts? Candidates?

2. Barry Forbis
    Glen Schwarz

Oh, that's right, they aren't sports editors anymore.
    What a business.

3. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

They fit all the criteria, that's for sure.

(Unlike some more active self-promoters ........)

4. What both of them do, also, is they not only respect their editors on the desk, but they respect their beat people, and don't micromanage. They also will go to war for their staff. Or at least they did.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Our guy was a helluva sports editor; now he's running the whole paper. But we're a small shop, so he would never end up on this list.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I can't think of a better one than Doug Williams at the SD Union-Tribune.
    Fights for his writers in every case.
    Shows remarkable patience with young writers.
    Cares for everyone on staff.
    Can work a lede around without butchering it, but makes sure to pick up the phone and let you know.
    Cultivates young writers and turns them into future stars.
    Cares more about his family than some stupid sports section.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

He would if you named him, and told us why.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I have no idea.
    But I've only had TWELVE in my THIRTY-NINE-year career.
    I will say that a couple of the assistant sports editors were terrific and better than the SE we worked under.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. I only had three in 30 before my brief reign of terror.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I had five in six years at my first stop....one during the two years at my second stop.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Truthfully, I was just trying to be funny.
    My first one, the one who got me into this mess, was a jerk, but the one who followed him is my all-time mentor in this biz. Terrific guy, terrific newsman. The rest all had/have serious holes in their game.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm listing these in past tense, as they relate to his time in sports, but they're still true in his new role. For starters:

1. Shit got done on his watch. If it didn't, those responsible knew about it.
    2. He always went to bat for his people, whether it was with readers or higher-ups.
    3. He was firm enough to make sure No. 1 was true, but flexible enough to allow his employees enough freedom to grow.

Draft saved Draft deleted