1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What companies are going under this year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Overpriced burger, but filling. The ice cream and cake is really something, too.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Still got a Blockbuster card that I haven't used in years. Problem with Blockbuster is that they didn't figure out Netflix' business model before Netflix did, really.

I kinda like it that the last movie I'll ever have rented from Blockbuster is Super Fly.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Also: I can't hate on Sbarro. That place owns. And yeah, you end up wanting 1.5 slices...but they usually have breadsticks in the middle of the pasta offerings, so nab one and go with one slice. Win-win.

I swear when I was in college at UGA (2001-2005), Athens had a freaking Roses. Never went in. Probably should have, just for the memories.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Sorry, my movie kiosk is in my grocery store, which I frequent pretty much every day. It is rare when I don't get a movie right back... does happen, but the point is, I don' t have to go out of my way to return it. And if they don't have the one I want (I rarely rent on weekends, FWIW) I just pick another movie. Why on earth would I pay $5 when I can do that?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

According to this "expert" 220,000 stores are soon to close, including Tiffany, Nordstrom, Neiman, Zale, Penney and Sears.

OUCH!

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/187534/Get-Ready-for-Mass-Retail-Closings?tickers=sks,^gspc,jwn,tif,zlc

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Best Buy just laid off 300 more at its corporate office.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Borders Books laid off 136 at one of their corporate offices today. They won't be hanging on much longer.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You mean like Blockbuster Online, which I subscribe to and think is great? Biggest benefit, as someone mentioned, you can return the movies to a Blockbuster store and trade it in for something else. You are never without a movie. It's like $16 a month.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Which means even more advertising dollars will dry up.

Get ready for another round of slashing and burning in the newspaper industry.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's fine now but where was that service six or seven years ago? Netflix took off primarily because this type of thing didn't exist and my point was that Blockbuster missed the ball. They're inability to predict how the market would change allowed Netflix to come in and steal away their business.

Now, the push is to Redbox. Once Redbox starts building bigger machines that can house more movies, I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix falls off as well.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Racetracks will close. Magna Entertainment is hanging on by the thinnest of threads at the moment.

Restaurant chains will consolidate. If a series of strip centers has a Ruby Tuesday, TGIF, Applebees, Outback Steakhouse and Red Lobster all within a half mile of each other, two will disappear and maybe three.

High end stores at the local malls (suburban DC) already have significantly decreased inventory and almost no staffing. I won't be surprised to see lots of these outlets boarded up in the next 6 months.

Chrysler is dead meat.

So, what happens to the NY Times if/when it can't pay back tht huge loan that it just took out at 12-14% interest from the Mexican businessman?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We're on the verge of a death spiral.

Businesses lay off people, so people have less money (or none at all) to spend, so stores don't get the traffic they used to get, so businesses lay off people. The end of the cycle, obviously, is when almost all the stores are closed and almost everybody is flat broke.

Kind of like newspapers, except, well, it's everybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted