1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What companies are going under this year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090205/ANA05/902059977/1078

I saw this when it came out. I think Gates is buying, too.

Edit: I suck at links. Apologies. Google "lampert autonation" and it'll come up.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, did this make me laugh.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Auto parts vendors are fucked.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow. Quite a matzah ball to bite off there, Mizzou.

Especially with the likes of Allstate, Clear Channel, Stanley Tool and other corporate wastes of sperm.

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Sbarro is not surprising. I was an assistant manager at one a long time ago, and the upper management are morons if not outright abusive. And by abusive, I mean physical. The state/region manager would smack around my store manager, who allowed it to happen because as a new father he was too scared of losing his job. As a smartass in my early 20s, I told the state/region guy that if he laid a finger on me I'd break his fucking arm. Lousy fucking job.

However, I would be sad to lose Krispie Kreme and Six Flags.

6. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Just in the past few years, around my neighborhood, a Blockbuster has closed, a Hollywood Video cut their footage in half, a Krispy Kreme closed after about 2 years and the only KMart within a 20 mile radius closed down.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We've had more than one Blockbuster around here close. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the smaller newspaper companies fold.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect a few airlines will go under, maybe some hotels because no one can afford to travel anymore.

A few car dealerships won't survive.

If I were buying stock, I'd put my money in pharmacuticals that make anti-depressants and beer companies. People will always have a need to drink... maybe now even moreso.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Me too. I haven't eaten at Sbarros since I got ignored by them when I worked in a mall. I thought the reason for the mirrors on the walls of the place were so they could see people, apparently not the case.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If I were buying stock, I'd put it in Wal-Mart, McDonalds and the makers of ramen noodles.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

JRC. When you can buy 10 shares of stock for an Abraham Lincoln (penny, that is), it's not a good sign for your company.

12. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

I happen to manage a Blockbuster store in Houston, and so my view on this article is a little different than others. But more to the point we do offer an unlimited rental program just like you mentioned, and I have quite a few customers that take advantage of it.

As for the various Redbox type kiosks, their main downfall is that they have an extremely limited amount of space and so they tend to run out of new releases on Wednesday and so those that can't get it there come beck to us.

Draft saved Draft deleted