1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What companies are going under this year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Quite a few might, according to this story.

Is it wrong of me that I actively root for Blockbuster to fail? That place has screwed me over so many times it's sick. Frankly, I'm surprised they've survived this long in the era of the internet and Netflix, plus the fact that Hastings is exactly like Blockbuster, but it sells books and other stuff and rents movies and games for cheaper and generally just kicks Blockbuster's ass in every way possible.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-Companies-That-Might-Not-usnews-14279875.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes it is wrong. Simple reason, a domino effect. The workers at those stores lose paychecks and lose disposable income. Lose disposable income and those manufacturers go under. And those workers lose... And when enough people lose their jobs, it can trickle down to you.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Blockbuster as a business model will soon go the way of the village blacksmith.

Surprisingly, our neighbourhood still has a thriving independent video store that's been around from the time these shops were divided in half--VHS to your left and Beta to your right.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Also, I've never heard of a Hastings before. We do have many Blockbusters around me, though. Not that I rent movies, but I'm sure there are some people who do.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sbarro? Out of business? Really? I thought there was a market for $4 slices of pizza that taste like ass.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is this going to turn into a death pool for businesses thread?

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Blockbuster's fate was sealed not when Nextflix came about, but when every grocery strore in America installed a $1 DVD kiosk.
    And I swear to God, I will cut someone if Krispy Kreme goes down.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They are getting killed by the dry fried rice for $3.99 next door.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd lay money on Toll Brothers Homes not making it through the end of 2010.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Six Flags is owned by Little Danny Snyder.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If this were a business death pool I would take Chrysler with my No. 1 pick.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My fiancee works for Rite-Aid. They used to be Brooks, then got bought out by a company who's advisors are businessmen, not pharmacists, therefore have no idea how to properly run a pharmacy. Sound familiar?
    She's quitting today. Got a job as a pharm at a local supermarket. A little less pay, but better hours and benefits.

Draft saved Draft deleted