1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what cfb teams are looking for games in 07?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 30, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

By all means. Please forgive those ignorant SEC schools for not giving up millions of dollars associated with a home game in order to fly across the fucking continent to play in some half-empty 40k stadium in front of half-baked fans for a minimum payday. That is if you are willing to overlook ...

Alabama (at UCLA, at Oklahoma, at Hawaii x2), Arkansas (at USC, at Texas), Auburn (at USC), Florida (at Miami) Georgia (at Clemson), Kentucky (at Indiana multiple times), LSU (at Arizona, at Arizona State, at Virginia Tech), Ole Miss (at Mizzou, at Wyoming, at Texas Tech), Mississippi State (at BYU, at Oregon, at Houston), South Carolina (at Virginia), Tennessee (at Notre Dame x2, at Miami) and Vanderbilt (at Michigan, at Duke x2, at Georgia Tech, at TCU, at Navy, at Wake Forest)

All of those games occured this decade. And that is with honoring the idiotic notion that rivalry games like Florida-FSU and UGA-Ga. Tech shouldn't count, while Oregon State schelping to the smurf turf should.

Next argument.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Six of 36 non-league on the road.

SEC teams have every right to stay home and collect huge paycheck games. No problem there. Someone has to pay the bills.

But when you get called out for doing just that, while teams from other BCS conferences actually play intersectional road games, don't argue with the facts.

Six of 36 on the road. That's really stepping up.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

why does it have to be intersectional?

and even then, pac 10 teams like oregon state pussy out of the deal

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Seven. You forgot Florida at FSU. And Seattle isn't my idea of a neutral site for Wazzu-Baylor, while we're at it.

And I've covered high schools with more intimidating home crowds than San Jose State.

5. HoopsMcCann

and stanford at san jose state doesn't count... it's less than 60 miles. doesn't count!

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Tennessee and LSU are the only SEC teams that have traveled north of the Mason-Dixon to play relatively significant non-conference games in the past 20 years. (Division 1-AA Vandy doesn't count.) LSU gets extra props since they traveled up to South Bend in late November.

I'd love to see how the Gators, Bulldogs, et al would do playing in 30-degree weather in the Horseshoe or the Big House.

7. HoopsMcCann

well, let's see, wicked... georgia wanted to play at michigan, but michigan said no

i've been as cold in auburn as i've been anywhere

and again... why doesn't it count going to georgia tech or clemson? why are those not good non-conference road games?

8. micropolitan guy

Hoops, we're giving Georgia credit for expanding the scope of it's non-conference scheduling, which even you admitted was awful for 30 years under Vince Dooley.

Now the league as a whole - not just Vandy, Tennessee, LSU and Georgia - need to step out of UCF/USM/ULL/ULM non-league cocoon. But funny things happen when you get on an airplane and fly 2-3 hours for a non-league game. Sometimes you lose (ask MSU or Ole Miss or Auburn or Alabama how their recent trips to the west went), but we can't have that, can we?

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Georgia was also turned down by Notre Dame, IIRC, as well as the others already mentioned, so let's dispense with the Mason/Dixon Line argument. Criticize if you want, but this is not for a lack of trying on UGA's part in recent years. I'd also point out the obvious: Schedule shortcomings aren't solved overnight.

Oh, and MSU and Ole Miss lose when they don't leave home ...

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Give Georgia props for scheduling Louisville.

Georgia also scheduled Boise State last year.

Of all the SEC teams, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida probably do the best non-conference scheduling, with LSU in consideration as well.

11. HoopsMcCann

ok, so jet lag is the whole reason that a game at georgia tech doesn't count for uga or florida state for florida? jet lag? ok... good reasoning

12. micropolitan guy

Sorry, Hoops. I've agreed with you that Georgia is trying to expand its scheduling horizons. Again, kudos to Georgia.

But yes, I believe that driving to Hartsfield, getting on a plane, flying 3-4-5 hours across 2 or 3 time zones, adjusting your body clock, battling jet lag, and then playing a quality team in a completely unfamiliar, hostile stadium - like Auburn did at USC, like Alabama did at UCLA, like Mississippi State did at Oregon, like Wazzu did at Auburn, like Mississippi did at Wyoming, like Oregon State did at LSU, like California did at Tennessee - is appreciably tougher on a team than bussing 90 minutes to Atlanta to play Georgia Tech in front of a crowd that's at least 1/3 Georgia fans, and I'd bet there are a few people here who might concur with that conclusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted