1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what cfb teams are looking for games in 07?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's up there. Bears-Dolphins '85 was good. So was Bears-49ers (NFC title game at Solider Field in freezing conditions) '88.

I don't know if any of those are better than Vikings-Cardinals '03, though.

Rumor has it, there's an audio link somewhere around ...

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/kfan/gm%20winning%20td.mp3

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Oops, I bumped this back up.
    My bad.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wish we could get to the point where there was a crossover weekend each year for the BCS conferences, a la the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. Maybe ACC/Big XII and Big Ten/SEC (though one SEC school would be screwed). Base it off last year's standings.

Of course, fans wouldn't be able to make travel plans 10 years in advance, but it'd be far more interesting than those Michigan vs. whatever-directionally-named-stepcousin-school-they're-playing-this-year games.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You know, I never get tired of listening to that.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A bump because AJC is reporting a home-and-home with Oklahoma State for the Bulldogs. Athens next year, Stillwater in 2009.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

saw that in the tulsa paper yesterday

so now they have home-and-home series scheduled with oklahoma state, colorado, louisville and oregon -- and have been turned down by notre dame and michigan, and a 2-for-1 series cancelled by UC, and a 1-for-1 turned down by oregon state

still, the sec never goes anywhere, you know? they just all play each other and never go anywhere (despite the fact they play regional rivals georgia tech every year a clemson occasionally)

but yeah, you know, those big 10 teams sure seem to play everywhere....

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

When Auburn plays Washington State (not a bad team), Buffalo, Tulane and Arkansas State, all at home, the argument does have some validity. Of course, Auburn and Alabama are playing 12 straight weeks, so it's hard to schedule a cross-country trip.

8. HoopsMcCann

auburn's played at southern cal recently -- they've played at georgia tech recently (i know, it's in the south! it doesn't count!). they've got a home-and-home scheduled with west virginia. but yeah, they don't go anywhere.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are 12 teams in the SEC, who played 36 non-league games. This year they played/will play a grand total of six non-league road games.

Kentucky at Louisville
    Mississippi at Missouri
    Mississippi State at UAB
    South Carolina at Clemson
    Tennessee at Memphis
    Vanderbilt at Michigan

There are 10 teams in the Pacific-10 Conference, two fewer than the SEC. Yet they managed to play/will play 12 road non-league games.

Arizona at LSU
    Arizona State at Colorado
    Cal at Tennessee
    Oregon at Fresno State
    Oregon State at Boise State
    Oregon State at Hawaii
    Stanford at San Jose State
    Stanford at Notre Dame
    UCLA at Notre Dame
    USC at Arkansas
    Washington at Oklahoma
    Washington State at Auburn
    Washington State also played Baylor at a neutral site.

In 2005 Pac-10 teams played nine non-league road games, and two at neutral sites.

I realize things change year-to-year because of home-and-home arrangements, etc. But Georgia's scheduling philosophy is a very recent change, and generally speaking an upper-level SEC team doesn't leave home very often (and why should it, the money is too good),whereas every Pac-10 team leaves home at least once a year, often twice, in non-league games, and will play five road league games every other year.

10. HoopsMcCann

and why should it, the money is too good... exactly... sec teams sell out. those pac 10 teams can get more money traveling

how many of those pac-10 teams have standing home-and-home series with non-conference foes? the sec has several -- uga and ga. tech, fla-fla. st., clemson-sc -- that means next year you'll have uga at ga. tech and uf at florida state. it's a whole 'nother ball of wax

and uga's change in philosophy has come with a new ad. yeah, it's a different approach, mainly because he replaced a guy who had been ad for nearly 30 years

and oh yeah, your pac 10 pussied out creating this problem (this problem being the one that was the original reason for the thread)

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not my Pac-10. Last I checked, Tom Hansen was the commish, not the Micro guy.

SC always plays ND. Every Pac-10 team always has at least one non-league road game.

Oregon State backed out of a 2-for-1 with Georgia in late September. That hardly explains Georgia's, and the SEC's, general unwillingness to play a true non-conference road game for the past 50 years. (getting on a bus and driving 60 miles to Atlanta doesn't count).

The Ga-GT and Clemson-SC series date back to when they were in the same conferences. Makes no sense to change what was working.

And kudos to Georgia for making the change in philosophy. It was only 30 years in the making.

12. HoopsMcCann

why doesn't going 60 miles to atlanta not count? that's what i still don't understand

Draft saved Draft deleted