1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What causes do you make time for?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, Sep 29, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My wife and I have spent a few hundred dollars on a kid each of the past two christmases.
    I also did a lot of random volunteering during college.
    Other than that, I don't do much of anything, aside from buying the occasional homeless dude a drink or pack of cigs.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a canadian club would be nice, mu.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

One of my local bars is one of the few here to allow a homeless dude in and sip on a beer. They'll come in, especially on Wednesdays, and take 45 min. to drink a Natty Light just for something to do (most of the missions here won't let 'em check in til later).
    Come on over Tom, I'm sure they'll let you hang.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Over the years I have coached little league, soccer and basketball. Most of these had to do with my daughter, although I ended up coaching elementary school basketball for two years aft she left becuase no one else would do the job (didn't stop them from bitching about me though ;) )

We buy a gift off the Salvation Army angel tree for a boy and a girl each year. At Thanksgiving, we buy the fixin's for a thanksgiving dinner (Turkey, potatoes, etc...) and take it to the mission.

We generally buy whatever the cute kid is selling door to door (cookie dough, wrapping paper, whatever)

I love to go read to kids at local schools and do it as often as I can. My wife and I served on the boards of the PTA at whatever school my daughter was at over the years.

So how come it never feels like enough?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have a son who has Down syndrome so I've become pretty active in local special needs athletics. I coach baseball, basketball and soccer. Eventually, I'll begin a program that brings people from group homes to local ball games.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fucking sweet.

7. Mira

Mira Member

My hubby and I volunteer and give annual donations to Gilda's Club, a group that offers support to cancer survivors and families, or individuals and families dealing with the loss of a family member/friend.

It's a wonderful place with locations around the country. My father-in-law died of pancreatic cancer and he received a huge amount of support from Gilda's Club.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

1) Boy Scouts. I'm an Eagle Scout and am encouraging my son to pursue Scouting as far as he finds it rewarding to do so. Some of my best memories with my dad were in Scouts ... maybe he'll remember some of ours and forget about some of the stupid crap I've done.

2) Giving Blood. It's not that hard to bleed for a good cause a few times a year. I understand if you have issues with needles or have had a bad experience, but if not, think about it, please.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Class.

And Cran, you're one of the special ones for coping. One of my old friends from summer camp has an autistic daughter and I see what she goes through.

You guys are the Hall-of-Fame parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted