1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What can I do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Feb 6, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

My Indecision February continues. My editor has begged me to stick it out for a while and is offering me a significant raise (even though I got one a couple months ago) and has offered to doing anything for his boss to give him more part-time hours or change the budget around to get more money while I'm in school and working more often and have less during the summer months.

It's nice to know you're appreciated, and I know I've turned in some of my best shit lately, but when I told him last night that Friday will be my last night, at least for now, he said he'd rather have me than anyone else on the staff, including the guy who's been there almost 30 years. That really made me regret telling him I wanted to try something else, even though he knows it's financial and not personal, and likely just a temporary break.

And the pizza place didn't call me in to watch the video like they said they were going to, so I have no idea what I'm going to do now.

2. Love Dead Prez. I listened to that song yesterday and followed it up with Walk Like a Warrior and Radio Freq. Good work, CR.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dude, hear your boss at the paper out, and give him basically every chance. You can deliver pizzas whenever you want. If you have a chance to go write and get paid for it, take it up. Sounds like your SE is trying hard to keep you involved. Getting reamed out by some middle aged fat woman because the cooks put sausage instead of pepperoni on the pizza is not going to boost your career.

4. CradleRobber

FH, the impetus for the other options/pizza delivery is car maintenance costs driving as many as 500 miles per week and $10.00 round trip in gas costs to get to work, plus the driving time on both ends. When I wasn't scheduled for a full shift, some days I even LOST money.

5. Flying Headbutt

Hey man, I understand. I drove 80 miles round trip each night one summer for an unpaid internship. And not always through gated communities if you catch my drift. Like I said, I've been there. But you seem like a pretty smart kid. I know not everyone is going to agree, but I'd consider it part of paying your dues for something better later on. If your boss is that interested in working something out, I would do whatever I could to make it it happen. Unless your new career has you delivering big sausage pizzas all the time. But I doubt it is.

6. Flying Headbutt

Good point. When you're young and getting ahead of the game it's easy to think bosses will fawn over you forever. They won't. They can sour on you quickly. You can be hot shit one day, and fired the next. Anytime someone makes the effort that they appear to be making, don't think for a second that's routine. And it's probably going to be beneficial at some point. Besides, I don't know about over there, but here pizza guys get robbed all the time. Do you want to stare down the barrel of a .44 over 18 bucks and change?

7. CradleRobber

I can't really get into details without creating a bad situation for myself, but I'll just say my editor and I both understood this job was training for a big goal, which almost became reality a few months ago and now looks doubtful until May.

My editor understands my concerns, and is doing everything he can to accommodate me. I appreciate that.

I don't see car as a "short-term." It's all I've got. I paid 11K in August 2005 with 57,300 miles, and I went over 95,000 driving home from work last night. That's 38,000 miles in 18 months. Neither I nor my parents have the money for a timing belt or new clutch, both of which are looming.

So as I approach 100K, it becomes difficult to justify that kind of commute right now if I could make better money temporarily doing something shitty a mile away from my apartment.

8. Flying Headbutt

If you want to lose your edge and experience, then go ahead. But if you have a good opportunity now, with a better one in three months..... well, three months can go by really fast, or really slow. But in reality, it goes bey REALLLLLLY fucking fast. Go take a look at Luggie's thread in the journalism board about her neices problem. This is a no-brainer to me, dude. Make it work.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I took a pay cut from my delivery job my last year of college to take my first full-time gig. That was three years ago.

Usually, delivery drivers get payout per delivery (the last place I worked was 50 cents a delivery, another place I worked at was 75 cents.)

I delivered for Papa John's (Lawrence, Kan.), Pizza Hut (Columbia, Mo.), Little Ceaser's K.C. and a mob-run place in KC. Made the most money at P.J.s because they paid the highest base and delivery rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted