1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What can Barry do to win you over?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 31, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think fans want to see him, simple as that. Their reasons vary more than the viewpoints on our threads. Some like the hero-villain aspect -- good drama. Many of us want to see the best hitter of our lifetime on a national stage again. Some, as you said, only know the names of four outfielders. But, keeping in mind that all-star voting isn't a passive exercise, it seems like fans have a pretty healthy perspective on the whole Barry saga.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

1) I haven't voted for the All-Star Game b/c I don't want to mis-cast a vote for some guy who had a hot start in April & part of May, then cooled down. But when I vote all 24 or whatever times you're allowed, Papi will not be on because A) he's not a first baseman, and B) he's a Red Sox

2) As for Bonds, I wish above all wishes that he would call a press conference, admit that there are more drugs in him than all of Colombia and then say he's quitting the game. Just get up and leave. Initially, I was going to say that I'd hope he'd pull an A.J. Soprano and tie a cinderblock around his ankle, but that might come off as a little too harsh. Still, if he had any sense of morality left in him, he'd quit and start donating a bunch of his money to worthy causes. I hear New Orleans is a little down on its luck right now.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't acknowledge his donations to both his lawyer's and agent's bank accounts. And since he's got the muscle power, how 'bout he put some of those drugs to good use and build a few homes with Habitat for Humanity? But I guess that would mean he would actually have to give a shit about people other than himself, right?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

I understand some of the hate, but it's amazing how far people go to completely demonize the guy.

5. boots

boots New Member

If Barry wins a World Series championship WITHOUT breaking the record, I think people may get off his ass.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

[​IMG]

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

According to this Bonds has given to several different charities over the years.... http://allstarz.hollywood.com/~barrybonds/charity.htm
    Although really with his salary 100 k per charity is just a kick in a very small bucket.
    More than I've ever gave, though.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Take a pitch to the head, sans helmet.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

He could start by running _ RUNNING _ out effing grounders.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, if Barry brings mostly rain and not much wind I'll be happy with him.

Uh, wait ... are we talking "Bonds, Barry" or "Tropical Storm Barry?"

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

There won't be any winning me over here, Barry's already fine with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted