1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Your Ideal Ballpark Dimensions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Wrigley Field, old home of the Angels.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

New park:

LF: 342
    LC: 380
    CF: 408
    RC: 300
    RF: 281

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Baker Bowl.

When the Philadelphia Phillies played at the Baker Bowl during the 1920s, an outfield wall had an advertisement for Lifebuoy that said, "All the Phillies use Lifebuoy". A graffiti artist sneaked in and added, "And they still stink".

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good job. You know how to google.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

New field:

LF - 330
    LCF - 377
    LCCF - 401
    CF - 411
    RCCF - 401
    RCF - 37
    RF - 330

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ideal dimensions? Those at Shea Stadium.

Make hitters actually have to hit balls over the wall, instead of pop-up home run parks like, oh, Camden Yards and Citizens Bank.

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I don't know that 37 feet seems like a pop up distance to me. LOL

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I actually had a project in middle school where I designed a scale-model ballpark out of cardboard and poster board. I made it a gimmick stadium that could be built in cramped quarters in a downtown.

Anyway, the left field wall was only about 150 feet away, but it was because there was a building there. So it was 150 feet away, but the fence was about 100 feet high (and transparent) to protect the building but allow for viewing from inside it. My friends and I had a lot of fun debating what would happen in a major league field like that (pop-fly home runs would be the norm, the potential for what would be a normal home run to hit mid-wall and ricochet into the stands behind the home dugout might exist, where do you play your left fielder?, could a ball be hit around the corner of the building deep into the outfield?, offensive explosion with balls bouncing off the wall and turning into singles, etc).

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What are you trying to say?

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

If I'm playing, and I'm in my prime (which is to say, 1994), I'd want:

Left-field and right-field corners: 400 feet.
    Left-center and right-center alleys: 430 feet.
    Center field: 450 feet.

Oh, and AstroTurf. Old-school AstroTurf. Preferably coated with Crisco and Pennzoil in the gap in left-center.

(I was always a short, speedy dirtdog who had no power but could run forever. Love, love, love triples.)

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

When I was in fifth grade, we used to have these notebooks with black and white covers that looked like marble and the paper was sewn in. I remember almost completely filling one of those notebooks with drawings of stadiums while I was daydreaming and not doing whatever school work I was supposed to be doing.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A favorite of mine for ballpark architecture. A ballpark that didn't look like a ball part.

Original dimensions: 360, 393, 515, 393, 360

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted