1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are YOU thankful for?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Nov 26, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

What are you thankful for this year?

For me, the fact that I've survived what's seemingly been a shitstorm of a year and I can actually enjoy the four-day weekend since I'll do so with a job to go back to, even if it is a temporary assignment.

I'm thankful that the temporary agency I'm working for has consistently found me work that has mostly been a good fit for me and for the employers I've worked with. I'm thankful that they make me feel as though they're not just treating me as a random employee they might place with a client; rather, they make me feel as though they're actually advocating for me. I'm thankful that their recruiters, account managers and even their branch manager all know exactly what's going on and can help me as well as my primary contact there.

I'm thankful for re-connecting with my mother after over 15 years of her being persona non grata in my eyes. I'm thankful that we had a visit that has been one of the highlights of my year.

I'm thankful for my friends, old and new. That includes everyone from the people whose memory is a single conversation at the bar to those whom I consider my surrogate siblings because I grew up as an only child.

Most of all, I'm thankful that I'm still alive, more than 36 years after my journey on this planet began.

To those who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving.

2. jlee

jlee Active Member

I'm thankful to have a car that still runs after 75,000 of the worst miles man can bestow upon a vehicle. I'm thankful I still have places to drive it with and without purpose.

I'm thankful for a family that has put up with a lot of crap from me, including parents who spent weeks figuring out this whole "Internet" thing because I insisted we had to do webcam chats on holidays.

I'm thankful for a brother who tells me I'm the accomplished one -- even these days, when he kisses his model-hot wife before he leaves his four-bedroom lakeside house to go to his six-figure job. I'm also thankful for his wife and her family, who have treated me like blood since I was 16.

I'm thankful for the people I've met in my new home, past (Hi Adam!) and present, who have kept me from getting low in cold, long holiday seasons.

And the rest, in no particular order: bass guitars, SEC referees, draft specials, high-fives, backflips and hammocks.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Our healthy 11-month-old daughter.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thankful for my 20 month old daughter.

Thankful for the many blessings in my life including a 12 year old step daughter and a chocolate Lab who joneses for food the way a crackhead joneses for the glass dick.

Thankful for the company I work for that re-organized me down back in May has re-organized me up to a better position as of tomorrow.

Thanksful for my wife who is trying to cheer me up while we are sitting in a hospital waiting for her to go in to surgery after finding out our preganancy of 16 weeks had ended yesterday.

2009 has been an up and down year but I am thankful for a lot of things.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very sorry for your loss, Chet, and I admire your resilient philosophy.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh Chet, I'm sorry. That's awful. You and your wife seem much more resilient than I'd be.

I've much to be thankful for, including the fact I'll soon be part of a different profession.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Me too. Very sad. Glad you're hanging in there.

8. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I'm also very sorry to hear about your loss, Chet. I'm glad you're getting a better position than the one you were re-organized out of in May.

And I'm also thankful I won my unemployment appeals hearing back in May. It was a MAJOR load off my mind.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words. I did not mean to start a bummer on this thread.

My wife and I are in a recovery suite and she is doing well, albeit very tired as she sat in the hospital all day waiting.

I should add that I am thankful for our great friends who were competing to see who could come down to the hospital while I went to work. Also thankful for the multiple offers from people to pick up and stay with our infant daughter this evening.

Last US Thanksgiving we were visting my father in law and his wife who was in the midst of chemo treatment. It was our last Thanksgiving with her as she died in August almost a year to the day of diagnosis.

I am thankful that we got to see her then as well as a few more times before she passed at 46 (cancer sucks)

As I was saying, 09 has been an up and down year.

I hope everyone in SJ land has something they can be thankful for as despite what sounds like a crappy run of events I am thankful for a pretty good life.

Again, sorry to get all Sammy Maudlin on here.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Chet, sorry to hear it. ... I'm thankful for you sharing such news, albeit tragic and sad, because it just goes to show that life is far from perfect yet there's a realization the roller coaster will go back up the hill -- eventually.

I'm thankful for the ability to laugh, love and cry.

11. highlander

highlander Member

I'm thankful for my new job, my mother who does things for me she doesn't have too, my dog max and all my friends.

I was almost thankful for Texas A&M football, but that proved to be futile.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, Chet.

Great thread, F_T. I'm amazed at the ability of people to be thankful for so much even when things are tough.

I am thankful that Mrs. OOP and I are both employed. I am thankful that my mother was able to make Thanksgiving dinner with the family last night. It was the first time since she fell and badly hurt her knee a couple of months ago that she was allowed to go out for anything other than a doctor's appointment.

I am thankful for good friends, who actually chose to put up with me. I am thankful for my family, which knows better but has to put up with me. I am thankful for Mrs. OOP, who actually has to live with me.

Most of all, I am thankful for little OOP, that she is healthy and strong and apparently a hell of a lot smarter than her daddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted