1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you getting for mileage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Apr 23, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's not what people are getting paid per mile? Wow.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Nope. The article guages the high and low prices per gallon in various countries around the world. Iran had gas for something like 41 cents a mile. Makes me want to travel and smuggle in a thousand barrells of gasoline into the USA.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i get 48.5 cents per mile.

but i work for a law firm, not a newspaper.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's right around what we were getting in 1981, before our paper was sold to G*****T. I cannot believe it hasn't changed.

I currently work for a non-profit (no, not a newspaper), and we get 50.5 cents a mile.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm now at 47 cents a mile. Thank goodness for a generous company. And I still get to claim the difference on my taxes. Hello, $40.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

22 cents a mile when I left the industry in 2005.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

I'd be very interested to hear from our itemizing posters exactly how much money they're deducting.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, to begin with, you can only deduct the portion of your business expense that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income.

9. NX

NX Member

A mass e-mail went out last week that our rate was being raised from 35 to 38 cents. There was also a plea to do interviews by phone instead of face-to-face whenever possible.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

newspaper...non-profit. What's the difference?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Tax breaks.

12. fremont

fremont Member

The papers I've been stringing for lately vary from nothing(!) to .35 - any paper that doesn't pay mileage only gets something I would be at otherwise working for somebody else, like a track meet. I cast a separate story for them and all, but I'm not going to drive for them for nothing.

Back when I had a full-time gig, it ranged from .15 from 2000 to about 2003, then it was .20, then .35 at a larger paper in 2005. Never got IRS rates, but there's no union in Texas and no contract saying you have to pay such-and-such.

I killed three cars going anywhere to cover sports, but I have plenty of clips to show for it, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted