1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you getting for mileage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Apr 23, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

$.40 per mile.

If I hadn't seen some of the figures on here, I'd say I wish I were kidding.

2. .40 cents and damn happy with it, even today.

My last paper was 23 cents just a few years ago. I wouldn't doubt it's still 23 cents.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why would taxes be taken out now? It's a reimbursement, isn't it? It's not income. It's to compensate you for the cost of gas, in addition to wear and tear on your car.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I had to look at one of the pay stubs in my desk to figure out that taxes are not taken out on mileage.

At my old shop, we turned in mileage sheets once a month. Here, we turn them every two weeks along with our time cards for that pay period. I don't know why I was thinking mileage/expenses was taxed here and not at the other paper I worked for.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

You're probably right. And I'll give you a hint, it begins with G, ends with a T and has ANNET in the middle.

6. KYSportsWriter

Why is one of the biggest corporations so stingy on mileage?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

.32 cents. We were at .27 for most of last year before they bumped us with the surge in gas prices.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Probably shouldn't say this, but we actually get the federal rate, adjusted (I think) quarterly. It's in our contract. So 50.5 cents these days. I try to drive a lot.

9. KYSportsWriter

I wish we got the federal rate. But I only get that much when I do my taxes each year.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

50.5 cents.

11. lono

lono Active Member

50.5 cents as well.

12. Just as an FYI.

The federal rate is now $.505 per mile. If you receive less than that - keep track of your miles because the difference is tax deductible. For example. If your employer just gives you $.30 per mile and you drive 3,000 miles over the course of a year - then that's an additional $615 you can deduct from your taxes. Could be the difference between the return being enough for a dinner for two and the return being enough for a 50 inch HD screen.

If your employer gives you a car allowance - then that counts as income and is taxable. That's how they really screw you.

Draft saved Draft deleted