1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you doing with your 401k?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Full of Shit, Jan 23, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is no better time to have one than when you are 23.

Unless you are 22.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let's say you made 7 percent in your 401k. It would double every 10 years.

So if you had $10,000 when you were 26, it would be worth $160,000 when you're 66.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sorry Poindexter. For me, it is.

Mine matches 3 percent, and I've been putting in 5 percent just to have extra. But now I hear all this shit aobout the economy, and I don't know anything about either...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It matches 3 percent at 100 percent?

And even if stocks/mutual funds scare you, you likely have some kind of money market option with a guaranteed 3 percent or so (though I wouldn't go that route were I you).
    You also might be able to get a financial planner to look over your selections for you.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No need to do anything unless it's ensuring you're in good funds. You shouldn't be speculating with your retirement, anyway. Look at every component of your 401k with a professional. The market has always made up its losses and it'll do the same thing this time around. You're not the only one down 15 percent.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Here's a timely story from Wednesday's Wall Street Journal:

How do you keep your head, when all about you are losing theirs?

Yesterday, investors weren't at their finest. A tsunami of selling drove the Dow Jones Industrial Average down 464 points, only for shares to bounce back smartly, with the Dow finishing off 128 points.

Clearly, many folks are rattled. Looking to maintain your investment sanity? Breathe deeply, keep these five maxims in mind -- and start buying stocks.

SITTING PRETTY. Unless you're invested 100% in stocks, you haven't suffered the full brunt of the market decline.

Suppose you have a classic balanced portfolio, with 60% in stocks and 40% in bonds. While the Dow industrials are off 10% so far in 2008, your portfolio might have lost just 5%. Sure, that stings. But it is hardly cause for panic.

Moreover, the recent decline comes after five years of healthy gains. In fact, the shares in the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index are still up 69% since the October 2002 market low.

And remember, over the past five years, U.S. small-company shares and foreign stocks have easily outpaced the blue-chip stocks in the S&P 500. The bottom line: Despite the recent carnage, you are likely sitting on handsome profits.

HITTING BOTTOM. A bear market is often defined as a 20% decline in stock prices. As of yesterday's close, the S&P 500 was down 16% from its Oct. 9 peak. In other words, if this turns out to be a standard bear market, the pain is almost over -- and there isn't much point in bailing out now.

Of course, this could turn out to be far worse than your standard bear market. Investors still vividly recall the brutal decline earlier this decade, when the S&P 500 tumbled 49% from its March 2000 peak to its October 2002 trough.

This sort of multiyear losing streak is, however, relatively rare. Since year-end 1925, we have only had four such losing streaks, 1929-32, 1939-41, 1973-74 and 2000-02, according to Ibbotson Associates, a unit of Chicago investment researcher Morningstar.

BEATING BONDS. If you think stocks are unappealing, check out bonds and money-market funds.

As of yesterday's close, the benchmark 10-year Treasury note was yielding a modest 3.5%. That is a miserably low yield to lock in for the next 10 years -- and today's buyers may be left with little or no gain, once taxes and inflation take their bite.

Meanwhile, taxable money-market funds have lately been paying around 4%. With the Federal Reserve pushing down short-term interest rates, yields could fall sharply in the months ahead.

In fact, if you are an income-hungry investor looking for some inflation protection, stocks are arguably the best choice. For proof, compare the S&P 500 to inflation-indexed Treasury bonds.

Today, you can purchase 10-year inflation-indexed Treasurys, garner a 1.3% initial yield and see your interest payments rise along with inflation in the years ahead. The recent rally in inflation-indexed bonds suggests investors think that's an attractive deal.

Yet if you want a rising income stream, the S&P 500 strikes me as a far better bet. True, the S&P doesn't come with a government guarantee.

But you have a higher initial yield, currently 2.1%, and there's a good chance your income will outpace inflation. Over the past 50 years, the dividends kicked off by the S&P 500 companies have risen at 5.6% a year, comfortably ahead of the 4.1% inflation rate.

STAKING CLAIMS. Most investors buy stocks not for income, but for capital gains. At times like this, price appreciation can seem utterly fickle, as shares bounce up and down with the shifting mood of investors.

But over the long haul, shares should post handsome gains, because they represent a claim on corporate profits. Yes, those profits may suffer temporarily if the economy slips into recession.

Eventually, however, growth will return, and that growth will drive share prices higher. Over the past 50 years, the economy has expanded at a 7% annual clip. Sure enough, share prices have followed right along, also climbing at 7% a year.

BUYING CHEAP. The further stocks fall, the riskier they seem to investors. But in reality, the decline makes stocks less risky, because they are now almost certainly a better value.

Think of it this way: If the S&P 500 is any guide, your fellow investors are saying U.S. corporations are worth 16% less than they were three months ago. A slowing economy means corporations probably are worth a little less. But surely they aren't worth 16% less.

My advice: Calculate what portion of your portfolio is in stocks and stock funds. After the recent market carnage, you likely have far less in stocks than your original allocation called for -- which means it's time to start buying. What if stocks keep falling? You keep buying, so you maintain a full stock-market weighting. That's what I plan to do.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sound like a fool, but if by "" it matches 3 percent at 100 percent" means they match 3 percent, then yes.

If I put 3 percent of my salary in 401k, I really have 6 percent.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's good. A lot of companies match at 50 percent (or less).

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo.

The fact of the matter is you're not down ANYTHING unless you sell.

Make sure you're in solid mutual funds that allow you to sleep at night (a core fund like an S&P500 index fund or large-cap value, growth or blend fund, perhaps an international fund and a bond fund) and keep pumping in the regular monthly contributions.

The best thing about this is when you do that, because of a neat trick called dollar-cost averaging, you're buying more shares now when the market is down.

Yes, it takes a set of 24k titanium cojones to invest in this market, but this is where the money is made.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Definitely. Especially if you can transfer it from move to move.

11. Don't change a thing. Ride it out. Eventually, you'll come out ahead. (And if you buy now, you could end up well ahead.)

Of course, if you're within 5-6 years of retirement, you probably shouldn't be that heavy in the market, anyway.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hell, yes. Get all the company matched money you can, then find set up a Roth IRA and dump a ton of money into it. In these times when things will be getting cheaper soon, it's a good bet to buy, buy, buy. You have PLENTY of time to overcome this blip.

Draft saved Draft deleted