1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you asking for for Christmas/Hanukkah?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 31, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Same thing every year since Steve Martin first suggested it, "revenge against all my enemies."

A couple new pairs of everyday shoes would be sweet, also.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have the FitBit One. It's slim -- it comes with a little holder so I can wear it under my clothes. It has a screen so I can read my stats at pretty much any time. The battery lasts about 2 weeks and takes an hour or so to charge. You can keep track of your stats really easy with the Dashboard.

The daily stats that it tracks are: steps, calories, stairs, miles walked, active minutes, sleep. You can also get badges for milestones (steps walked in a day, distance walked in a lifetime, etc.) You can friend people and cheer them on. You can log your food intake, water intake, weight, blood pressure, blood glucose, heart rate, if you're one of those people who needs to keep track of any of those.

I work in a very health-conscious workplace where they just bought everyone in the company a FitBit Flex. That's the one that you wear on your wrist. It comes in a variety of colors (and you can buy other colored wristbands fairly easy and cheaply). Then we have a group on Fitbit.com where we can share stats and talk about various fitness-related things.

I know they're getting ready to come out with a couple of models that have heart monitors.

The one thing about Fitbit is that it is not currently compatible with Apple's HealthKit. So if you were wanting to use that to track your steps, you have to find a workaround. My workaround is through the My Fitness Pal app, which is another calorie logger. You can sync up your Fitbit with the My Fitness Pal app so it'll read your steps, then sync My Fitness Pal with the Health app and it will see your steps taken.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I have one of the first iPod touches and I'm thinking about upgrading to one of the newer ones.

Aside from the camera, what do the newer ones have that the older ones don't?

I'm working under the assumption that no other company has put out a better music player.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Not too much. Obviously a bigger screen and faster processor inside if you weren't aware. And it's also slimmer.

The big thing would be to have something that's not made obsolete by Apple. My iPod touch from 2011 is already obsolete as far as I'm concerned. I can't download new versions of ios. I think I'm on 6 while everyone else is now on 8. Since I can't upgrade software versions, I can't download some of the newer apps. I presume since yours is an original, it's really out-of-date software wise.

Apple plans obsolescence of older models of hardware to force people to upgrade. If you only use the iPod to listen to music, there's probably not much of a reason to upgrade. But if you want newer apps, you'll have to eventually.

I was considering upgrading my iPod touch. I wouldn't have it all, but I was married to iTunes for music. Like most, I bought an iPod 10 or so years ago and then bought a bunch of music from iTunes that downloads in files that -- surpirse! -- can only be played on Apple computers, tablets, etc. However, Amazon has recently made a bunch of music available for free to Prime members. Looking through the music, most of what I had on iTunes is available from Prime. I won't be upgrading my touch now. Screw Apple.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've had mine for six years and I listen to it non-stop during work unless I have to make calls or presentations. It's great and it's still working, but I'm starting to have smaller issues with it that have me a little worried that I can't get another year out of it.

I typically use my phone for apps, but will use the iPod differently with the camera on it.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It has about 4x as many pixels as current 1080p TVs. The difference is astounding. Go to your nearest Best Buy and take a look at the Samsung and Sony models. They're incredible.

As I said, there's not yet a ton of 4k content, but they upscale 1080p content to about 2k, which looks great and Sony, in particular, is devoting a lot of resources toward 4k.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Six-pack, steak and a BJ.

To be honest, the wife and I buy things when we want/need them. It leaves holiday presents lacking, which is fine.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Where do you buy your BJs?

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

BJs in bulk! I love mass quantity of BJs. I tell no lie.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought you'd say the jewelry store.

Draft saved Draft deleted