1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are we allowed to talk about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) When someone reports something it doesn't ring to a bat phone that we immediately respond to. We all have lives and this board is secondary for us.
    2) Just because you report something doesn't mean you are going to get the outcome you think you should. And a lot of what we do is judgment. We're not perfect, but we do try to exercise good judgment as best as we can. Unfortunately, a good deal of what gets reported is either really petty -- best ignored -- or someone in a pissing match reporting a person or topic they can't keep in perspective.

If something on here bothers you -- including someone veering into a topic you think is a "violation" -- fine, report it. Then leave it to us to deal with.

But leave it be. Walk away and don't respond. Even if we didn't handle it to your satisfaction.

It's the people who jump in and inflame threads because they can't let something go who create most of the problems on here.

If someone drags Obama onto a thread, it just sits there and goes nowhere if a bunch of people who can't put a message board into proper perspective don't decide they have to deal with the "violation" themselves.

2. The Big Ragu

The politics thread is not locked because of only one person.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it has to be an immediate response. Please don't put words in my mouth. I think this a useful discussion and doing stuff like that makes it less so. But to never respond at all? That leaves the poster thinking the mods don't give a damn.

A simple "We'll look into it and if there is good reason, we will deal with it" would be helpful. An argumentative response telling the board member to deal with it himself? Not so much. Not responding at all? Even worse.

MileHigh told us we should use the "Report to Moderator" and I'm explaining why many of us do not bother. People jumping in and inflaming threads do cause problems, but occasionally, y'all don't help much. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate moderators donating their time to helping make the board better, but it would help if you could acknowledge that.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think he is making reference to the idiot (or idiots) who kept making the Fart sock puppets. It absolutely did come across as the person who did that being given the power to get the thread locked, which seemed like the intention. Can you understand why that might leave some board members frustrated?

Yes, there was plenty of other crap that caused that thread to get shut down, but the last two times, it was the sock puppets, wasn't it?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The board is a fluid situation

6. Boom_70

Mile High has a reputation as the biggest red ass and quickest trigger finger amongst the MODs. ;)

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ban the sock puppets, especially the handle-spoofers, without mercy.

Whatever else I've done, I've never created a sock puppet here for political reasons. If I am going to say something political, I say it.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I learn something new every day.

9. Boom_70

Worse. You now admitted to being a snitch. You broke the SJ omerta code.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

People never used to snitch before the moosl ..... ahh forget it.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever even posted on the politics thread, and have no idea what the preschool thread is/was about.

I think there are a certain few that would just as soon have the politics thread opened back up, but the majority of those few don't know when to let off the gas and leave the personal stuff alone.

It's an Internet message board. These discussions are not life/death. No ones life will change one centimeter because of someone's opinion on an Internet message board.

If you do consider someone's opinion life / death from an Internet message board, then you should seek appropriate help immediately.

Opinions are just like assholes. Everyone has one, and no two are just alike.

12. The Big Ragu

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was explaining that we are not on here all the time, and moderating on here is a small part of our lives. Not everything is an argument or someone trying to have a pissing match with you.

Report things, as MileHigh suggested. It sometimes is warranted, and it leads us to things we hadn't seen.

But then forget about it.

It's simple.

It's really not that hard to walk away from an anonymous person / thread on a message board rather than having a pissing match that annoys the majority of people on here who don't want to see the BS. But some people just seem incapable of that.

We deal with things as best as we can. We are not perfect, but even if you think I (or any other moderator) have bad judgment, the moderators as a GROUP are a pretty reasonable collection of people.

We're not "picking favorites" the way some people think. We don't see everything that happens on the board -- even when it gets reported we might not be checking. And we don't necessarily think the thing you are in a twist about is a major deal -- even though you are upset. Also, we don't necessarily respond to everything, particularly when it is someone who has a history of being a pain in the ass. We get hit with quite a bit of whining. I can't speak for the others, but I am not going to spend my day responding to people who are constantly bickering on here and whining to us about it.

I try to be patient with people privately. If someone is upset, even if it didn't warrant a thread lock or whatever they wanted to see, in my opinion -- I do respond ONCE or twice. I suggest they walk away and not let a message board get to them. I think I am pretty courteous. You can't imagine how often that just gets an argument -- and often abuse -- in return about the post or thread that the person is upset about, or the person they don't like -- instead of, "You know, you're right. It's not worth getting this upset over."

After that, though, don't expect me to respond to you when you complain about something -- not when reporting something to you simply means you either get validated by the moderators or they are bad people.

If you can't just let something go -- regardless of whether you think we handled it well -- you should be questioning why you are so obsessed about posts on a message board.

Draft saved Draft deleted